Wisconsin women’s basketball gets UW-Milwaukee transfer

The Wisconsin women’s basketball team announced its newest team member Thursday in 6-foot-1 forward Avyanna Young who will transfer to Wisconsin from UW-Milwaukee.

In her sophomore year with the Panthers in the 2013-2014 season, Young started 29 of 30 games and averaged 13.3 points per game, third most on the team.

“We are very happy to welcome Avyanna Young to our program,” head coach Bobbie Kelsey told uwbadgers.com. “She is an aggressive scorer and rebounder who will anchor us at the forward position. She can also stretch the defense with her ability to shoot from deep.

“Avyanna has made tremendous improvement in her game since entering college and she will no doubt continue to reach her athletic potential in her final two years of eligibility. In addition to her scoring prowess, she is also a conscientious student. We are very excited for her to be a Badger.”

Young ranked second in the Horizon League and led Milwaukee with 9.8 rebounds per game and racked up 15 double-doubles in her sophomore year.

At Rufus King High School in Milwaukee, Young earned first-team all state honors while leading the Generals to the Wisconsin State Championship Game in 2012 averaging 17.1 points, 10.1 rebounds and 2.8 steals per game.

According to NCAA transfer rules, Young will have to sit out the 2014-2015 season, but will have two years of eligibility after next season.