Wisconsin women’s golf qualifies for NCAA field

For the sixth time in program history and the second season in a row the Wisconsin women’s golf team is headed to the NCAA regional tournament, announced by the NCAA Monday night.

The Badgers will be the 16th seed in the West Regional hosted by the University of Washington at Tumble Creek Club at Suncadia Resort in Cle Elm, Wash., May 8-10.

Besides UW, 23 other teams will compete in the West Regional, and the top eight finishing teams will advance from the regional to the NCAA Championships. There are two other regionals in the NCAA golf format, meaning that 24 teams overall will advance to the NCAA Championships.

Wisconsin is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships after accomplishing the feat a year ago, which was only the second time in program history Wisconsin had moved onto the championships. The good news for Wisconsin is that it has four members from last year’s squad on this season’s NCAA-qualifying team, which includes Kris Yoo. At last year’s Central Regional, Yoo set a school and course record when she shot a final round 7-under par 65.

Wisconsin is not just limited to Yoo though, as the team is coming off a sixth place finish this past weekend at the Big Ten Championships where it shot a 50-over par. Freshman Brooke Ferrell led the way with her 5-over par 78-75-68—221, good enough for a fourth place finish overall. Ferrell’s finish was the best individual showing at the Big Ten Championships for a Badger since 2004.

If Wisconsin advances to the NCAA Championships, it will play at the Tulsa Country Club in Tulsa, Okla., May 22-23.