Trask to pay for first 100 students to attend NCAA tourney match

When the Wisconsin soccer team faces UW-Milwaukee in its opening-round match of the NCAA men’s soccer tournament Thursday, it may be able to expect a much larger turnout from students than it has throughout the season.

Head coach John Trask announced through uwbadgers.com Wednesday his intention to pay for the first 100 students to go pick up a student ticket to the game if they make the trip to the Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office Thursday morning. Tickets are pegged to cost students $4 to see the game, which means the Wisconsin head coach will be paying $400 dollars out of pocket to see more student fans in attendance.

In games at home since 2012, Wisconsin has posted an impressive undefeated record of 13 straight victories — the longest in the country — on its way to a 13-4-2 overall record this season and a second-place finish in the Big Ten conference season. No. 19 Wisconsin tied UWM 1-1 in an earlier matchup in Milwaukee this season that went to a second overtime.

Wisconsin’s matchup against the Panthers is slated to kickoff at 7 p.m. Thursday.