UW looking for statement wins against Nebraska, Iowa

After falling to Purdue 3-2 this past weekend, the No. 13 Wisconsin volleyball team (18-6, 7-5 Big Ten) is looking to rebound in a pair of crucial matches against Big Ten rivals No. 8 Nebraska and Iowa this weekend.

Although UW fell behind 2-1 against the Boilermakers (16-7, 7-5 Big Ten), junior outside hitter Ellen Chapman said she was pleased with the way her team battled back and put up a fight until the end.

“In the past we usually crumbled in those situations and just laid down and lost, but I think we did a really good job of fighting,” Chapman said. “Even though we didn’t come out on top that match, it was a matter of a couple of points in the fifth set, which is not a lot.”

Overcoming adverse situations will be key for the Badgers Friday night if they want to take out a tough opponent in Nebraska (17-4, 10-2 Big Ten), which sits in second place in the Big Ten after four straight wins. Earlier this season, UW fell to Nebraska 3-2 on the road in a closely contested battle. First-year head coach Kelly Sheffield praised Nebraska for being well coached and building its strength around senior outside hitter Kelsey Robinson, a potential candidate for National Player of the Year.

“They’re a team that I’m not sure has any weaknesses,” Sheffield said.

To prepare for this weekend’s matches, redshirt junior middle blocker Dominique Thompson emphasized Wisconsin’s efforts in studying the strategies of both their weekend opponents. Thompson also noted that learning from mistakes made against Purdue and working to improve them — including serving and blocking — will be crucial to their success moving forward. Against Purdue, the Badgers were out-blocked 13-8.

When setting expectations for any given match, Chapman prefers a level headed approach to avoid complacency.

“I treat every match the same and never think we need to ‘show up more’ for one match more than we do for another,” Chapman said. “We need to not really worry about their side, but more about our side and coming together as a team.”

Coming together has been one of the biggest improvements for the Badgers, whose last season finished with just five conference wins. Sheffield also believes the team has regained their competitive edge.

“One thing we’ve gotten really good at, which used to be considered a weakness, is our ability to embrace the battles,” Sheffield said. “I think we really enjoy it when things get tight and the pressure is on.”

Junior outside hitter Courtney Thomas credited some new additions to this Badger team with contributing to their success. Thomas complimented the efforts of two freshmen, setter Lauren Carlini and middle blocker Haleigh Nelson, and also recognized the impact made by sophomore transfer Taylor Morey as a defensive specialist.

When looking ahead to Sunday’s matchup, Sheffield noted the importance of not overlooking a “hungry” Iowa team (10-14, 1-11 Big Ten), which will be in search of an upset victory after losing its last four matches. Back on Oct. 2, the Badgers came from behind to overtake the Hawkeyes in Iowa City 3-1 after dropping the first set.

As the Badgers enter their toughest stretch nearing the end of the season, Sheffield hopes his team will continue to improve and finish as a stronger team than they started. He believes the mindset of the team is the most important factor at this point of the season.

“We don’t talk necessarily about wins and losses, but we talk about going into practice everyday with an intent to get better at a higher level than our opponents,” Sheffield said.

Sheffield also addressed how the season can wear players down after a certain point, but he plans to keep his team in top shape when practicing, preparing and maximizing the potential of every player.

Both upcoming matches for Wisconsin will be in front of the home crowd at the Wisconsin Field House. The match against Nebraska on Friday begins at 7 p.m. while Sunday’s showdown with Iowa match begins at 1 p.m.

Friday’s match is the official student night where students will receive free admission.