Badgers refocus after Spartan spoiler

[media-credit name=’Kelsey Fenton / The Badger Herald’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]SPORTS-softball-sidebar-inside_KF[/media-credit]

Wisconsin softball has played well on the road all season. Setting a program record with 10 conference wins away from home, it seemed a forgone conclusion that once Wisconsin finally played at home – weather permitting – the team would keep on rolling.

For a large part, that assumption proved correct. Winning six out of seven games in a lengthy homestand helped thrust the Badgers into a sizzling hot nine-game winning streak. Standing in sole control of second place in the Big Ten heading into this past weekend’s series with Michigan State, it also seemed safe to assume Wisconsin would sweep the Spartans and secure another record – the best conference finish in program history.

But, for whatever reason, the stars did not align as the Badgers watched the Spartans steal the series with a decisive victory in the teams’ rubber match on Sunday at Goodman Diamond.

“It’s hard to lose your last game here,” senior infielder Shannel Blackshear said after the team’s loss. “We’ve done really well this season and it’s just about from this point on.

“We can’t take anything for granted and that showed here today. Michigan State is a good team, and they came in and put the ball and play and did well against us. We can’t take anything for granted because we’re doing well.”

From this point on may be what makes or breaks the Badgers season. Hoping to advance to their first NCAA tournament since 2005, UW currently sits at No. 26 in the NCAA Women’s Softball RPI, perhaps the best indicator of the team’s chances to be selected for a spot in the sport’s biggest stage.

Last season, Wisconsin lost a chance at an at-large bid in the tournament when it finished ranked No. 53 in the RPI, largely fueled by the team’s slide in the last month of the season, losing four of their last five games – albeit to strong Michigan and Nebraska teams.

Now, sitting pretty for an at-large bid thanks to a tough non-conference schedule filled with wins against their ranked opponents, the Badgers will hope to solidify their resume with some postseason wins.

Wisconsin will play in the Big Ten Tournament Friday afternoon against the winner of a first round game between No. 5 seed Northwestern and No. 12 Indiana. After losing a series to a Spartans’ team that sat below them in the conference standings, the Badgers are alert to how easy it is to drop a game to any Big Ten opponent, regardless of record.

“We sat above them in conference and if they can knock us down, I’m sure anybody can,” senior utility player Whitney Massey said. “It will make us try that much harder and not take anything for granted.”

“That urgency always needs to be there no matter who you’re playing,” junior outfielder Mary Massei said.

As far as the opponents go, Wisconsin has already had its way with both Indiana and Northwestern. Just two weekends ago the Badgers swept the Hoosiers in Bloomington, Ind., in three straight games by a combined score of 20-3. Although the games against the Wildcats were closer and at home, the Badgers still managed to sweep both their possible opponents.

With the taste of defeat fresh in their mouth, the losses to Michigan State may have served as a wake-up call for Wisconsin that it can’t take its potential opponents in the first round lightly.

“Weekends like this keep you grounded,” Wisconsin head coach Yvette Healy said. “It shows you how closely matched everybody is and nothing’s easy.

“We had won eight conference games rolling into this weekend and swept three series. I don’t know if everyone completely grasped how special that is and how it’s an accomplishment to finish with 16 wins. Every win is a huge deal when you’re in a conference like the Big Ten.”

If the Badgers respond to their Sunday loss the way they have all season, the team could potentially win the entire Big Ten tournament. Not only have the Badgers lost consecutive games just three times the entire season, but they’ve put together colossal winning streaks of 9, 11 and 13 in response to losses this season.

“I definitely think it [sharpens our focus],” Blackshear said. “These games are the games that show you can be completely at the top and anyone can come out and beat you on any given day. I think that’s a lesson learned for our team.”

Now preparing for big crowds in Lincoln, Neb. and the first conference tournament for every player on the roster, Wisconsin hopes the Michigan State series will re-energize the team for a deep run in postseason play.

“One good thing you can take from this weekend: We haven’t peaked too soon,” said Healy, laughing.