After lengthy road stretch, UW set for return home

After finally returning to Madison after a long away stretch, head coach Yvette Healy and the Wisconsin softball team play their home opener April 16 as they host the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay in a double-header before the Badgers host the Ohio State Buckeyes for a three game series Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Excited to be back home and finally get the opportunity to open Goodman Diamond for the first time this season, Healy said that the team has played well at home before and it should be a nice change of pace to play a home game in front of a packed, enthusiastic crowd this week.

This week they are also hosting a kids event. Last year they filled the stands with more than 1,000 fans and children, and they are looking forward to doing the same this year.

“We packed the place last year when we played against Penn State and had more than 1,000 fans and swept [the Nittany Lions],” Healy said. “I’d love to see the same thing — 1,000 fans and the sweep.”

While on the road during the last few weeks, the players and staff have dealt with plane rides, bus trips and sleeping in multiple hotels, but they developed some great relationships and are excited about bringing that bond into the rest of their season. Healy said she loved the opportunity to spend time with players and staff.

However, the women’s softball team has had some tough battles while playing on the road. 

When Healy was asked what the most memorable part of the away stretch was, she replied that the “last two weekends have been tough, but we were thrilled to take one [game] from Nebraska.” 

So far, the softball team’s conference record stands at 7-5, placing them fifth in the conference. Overall, the team’s record sits at 29-8 with roughly 75 percent of their schedule set to be played on the road. Still, Healy believes the adversity has made the team stronger.

“When you play against great teams, especially at their place, you learn something,” Healy said. “When you play at Iowa, Nebraska, you realize why these teams are good because they’ve got great home field advantage.”

The Badgers’ lineup has played through a lot to begin the 2013 season. Healy credited the players for their ability to each step up when called upon. She noted that when she gave many players the chance to step up in the Nebraska game, they took advantage of the opportunity and produced a significant win for the team.

Finally heading home, and with only eight losses in 37 games, Healy said she is proud of the progress and success the Badgers have produced during the long away streak.

Now at home, Wisconsin hopes their success will continue against conference foe Ohio State. Nonetheless, peering ahead to the three-game series, Healy doesn’t want to overlook their opponent.

“You’ve got to win one before you can win three in-a-row,” Healy said.