UW striving for third seed

With the Big Ten Tournament looming, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team concludes the regular season with a match against Iowa on senior day at the McClimon Complex Saturday.

Although the Badgers have already secured a spot in the conference tournament, their seeding is still on the line; a win would grant UW the three seed, while a loss would make them the four seed. Iowa, on the other hand, could possibly fail to earn a postseason berth if it loses depending on how the other conference games play out.

To be sure, even though UW has a guaranteed spot in the conference tournament, it does not mean the team can let down its guard to any degree.

“You don’t want them to be complacent and looking forward at all,” head coach Paula Wilkins said. “This is a game for seeding for us and for survival for Iowa, and all the tournament games, both Big Ten and NCAA, they’re all games of survival, and so you want them to see that. You want them to feel on edge here, not comfortable.”

Encouraging for UW is the offensive surge it has displayed in the last two games. The Badgers’ seven goals in their last two games, wins over Purdue and Indiana, is their highest two-game goal total of the season. Also noteworthy is the fact that six different players were responsible for scoring those seven goals.

“I think the best part about [the production] was that so many different people scored in the Purdue game,” senior forward Laurie Nosbusch said. “So I think that just shows we have a bunch of different threats and don’t have to necessarily rely on one person.”

Wilkins added that strategic shuffling has allowed the Badgers to develop rhythm offensively. The play of the backline has been partly responsible for the success as well; it helped in maintaining ball possession and creating space in the midfield, she noted.

The offensive success has been coupled with continuing defensive stinginess. The Badgers have allowed only four goals in their past eight contests, with three of those games going into double overtime.

The Hawkeyes will put UW senior goalie Michele Dalton and the rest of the defense to the test once more, as Iowa is currently third in the conference in shots, goals and points.

“They’re similar to us in terms of their system, in terms of their personnel,” Wilkins said. The forward up front [Cloe Lacasse] is very dangerous and a different type of forward than we’re used to playing in the Big Ten.”

Dalton, naturally, is aware of the Hawkeyes’ capabilities.

“I know a couple of the girls on the [the Iowa team] personally. I know they’re pretty dangerous,” Dalton said.

Dalton also noted the Badgers could improve in their defensive organization, especially in the back. However, she was not hesitant to voice her confidence in the defense she helms.

“We’ve shut down some major offensive threats, and we’re fairly good at that, so I’m not too concerned about giving up unnecessary shots on goal,” Dalton said. “I think that we make teams work to earn their shot, and I suspect we’ll be doing that this weekend as well.”

It will also be interesting to see if the Wisconsin offense can continue to produce against a Hawkeye defense that is fourth in the conference in goals allowed with 17, only one more than leaders Wisconsin, Michigan State and Penn State have each allowed.

“I think it’s just going to come down to if we can improve on playing through the midfield and being able to connect the back to the front more successfully,” Nosbusch said. “That’ll make us more successful in the Big Ten Tournament.”

Granted, the goal is always to win and UW will take the highest seed it can get before it heads to Northwestern, but perhaps the most important area of focus, apart from strategic considerations, is having the appropriate mindset as the critical portion of the season begins.

“Go big or go home.” Wilkins said to describe the stakes at this point. “This is when games really come down to the details and making a difference and having the mentality that every game could be your last.”