Bielema assesses injuries, preaches focus

FB32_SM
Junior running back John Clay sprained his MCL against the Boilermakers Saturday. According to head coach Bret Bielema the knee injury could keep Clay out of action against Indiana this week.[/media-credit]

November is a crucial month for college football teams, a time when championship squads are forged, pretenders are exposed and the sheer intensity of competition is thrust to the forefront.

For the 8-1 Badgers, fresh off a 34-13 win over Purdue and a No.7 ranking in the BCS poll, this month will be especially important if they wish to make good on their goal of capturing a Big Ten title.

Their high standing in the national polls has afforded UW a lot of attention, but head coach Bret Bielema swiftly discounted the importance of the polls and brought perspective to the situation.

“None of that [national polls and rankings] matters. I know it’s something to write about, but if our kids played the second half the way they played the first [against Purdue], we wouldn’t even be having this discussion,” Bielema said.

A constant theme that Bielema has preached over the course of this season is the all-importance of the next game, for mistakes are made when players get caught up in the hype and fail to maintain focus.

Injury Outlook

Bielema noted that star running back John Clay, who saw limited action against Purdue because of what turned out to be an MCL sprain, is day-to-day and will be evaluated as the week goes on.

“He was actually trying to get back in the ball game there late, but just didn’t feel where he was at that we needed to do that, especially the rhythm he had. We’ll see exactly where he’s at as the week moves through,” Bielema said. “He did have a slight MCL sprain. So basically, the x-rays, the MRIs came back and didn’t even look as bad as possibly James [White’s] from a week ago. So there is a chance for him this week.”

Peter Konz, who plays center, is questionable and may or may not start against Indiana. The sophomore appeared to aggravate an ankle injury against the Boilermakers. If Konz is unavailable, Bill Nagy will start at center.

Running back James White and tight end Lance Kendricks, as well as safety Jay Valai are full-go as the team prepares for Indiana.

Success of Fenelus

Junior defensive back Antonio Fenelus, who was named Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week after recording nine tackles, a fumble recovery and a 36-yard interception return for a touchdown against Purdue, drew approval from Bielema.

“He’s a very good technician, and he understands his strengths and weakness, not only within himself but with each call as well,” Bielema said.

Bielema also praised Fenelus for his instincts and toughness and explained that, measuring in at only 5-feet-9 inches and 190 pounds, his toughness and determination have been imperative to his success.

Gambles

The Badgers have capitalized on all four of their fourth-down attempts in the past two games, the most notable play being punter Brad Nortman’s 17-yard scamper to set up the go-ahead touchdown against Iowa. Criticism for these gambles has been avoided because they all worked out in the Badgers favor. Bielema, however, emphasized that taking these chances is the result of careful calculation.

“As a head coach you don’t want to call a particular game-changing decision unless you have a pretty good idea it’s going to have success…I don’t have much doubt when I run John Clay behind Gabe Carimi and John Moffitt. To me that’s good decision-making…Because they [the decisions to go for it] work, they’re bold; I’m sure you’d have another adjective if they didn’t work,” Bielema said.

Passion for the game

Junior defensive tackle Patrick Butrym, who was named team co-defensive MVP for his performance against the Boilermakers, stimulated commentary by Bielema about the intangibles that influence the success of the Badgers as a whole. He spoke about Butrym and fellow junior defensive lineman J.J. Watt’s true passions for football. Both linemen are native Wisconsinite’s and represent, in Bielema’s mind, the qualities that make the Badgers successful as a team.

“Both of them are Wisconsin kids…Anytime when I ask a kid about his high school team and he knows the score and the situation, I know he loves football because he loves where he came from,” Bielema said, referring to Watt’s awareness of his Pewaukee, Wisconsin, high school football team.

Bielema said that Watt even flew home after practice to watch his team’s playoff game.

“J.J. and Patrick, when they leave here, whenever that is, they are going to want us to have success just like they did. That’s the stuff that makes this program different, in my opinion,” Bielema said.