END OF AN ERA

[media-credit name=’Associated Press’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Packers-Favre-Footbal_Gend-1[/media-credit]

GREEN BAY ? Brett Favre has never been afraid to go against the grain, as evidenced by any of his varied and oft-utilized array of underhand passes. And on Tuesday it was proven once again, as the Green Bay Packers announced that the beloved Wisconsin icon called it a career, stunning teammates and diehard fans alike with his decision to retire on Monday night.

?Brett has informed us of his decision to retire from the Green Bay Packers and the National Football League,? said Packers General Manager Ted Thompson. ?He’s had one of the greatest careers in the National Football League, and he’s able to walk away under his own terms. Very few NFL players are able to do that.?

The past two offseasons have been full of worry and anxiety for Cheeseheads fearing Favre might not return to Lambeau Field for another season. Instead, he had a career renaissance last season, leading Green Bay to the NFC title game and a 13-3 regular season record, while passing for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions.

Now heir-apparent Aaron Rodgers presumably will be trusted to run the Packers’ offense.

?Everybody is surprised. That is the general consensus,? McCarthy said. ?He played at such a high level this year that I think everyone to a man thought he was coming back.?

Fans throughout Wisconsin were struggling to cope with the almost completely unexpected departure of the most beloved player in franchise history.

?I think a lot of people are feeling a little bit slighted and caught off guard,? said lifelong Packer fan Jim Kamke of Shawano. ?Everyone would like to see him play again. But it?s his choice, and he?s earned it.?

Favre cited mental fatigue and the lack of motivation to prepare for games and for a season as his reasons for not returning. He also chose not to speak to the media Tuesday, except for a voicemail he left ESPN correspondent Chris Mortensen.

“I know I can still play, but it’s like I told my wife, I’m just tired mentally. I’m just tired,” Favre said in the voicemail message. ?The only way to come back and make that be the right decision would be to come back and win a Super Bowl. And honestly, the odds of that, they’re tough. Those are big shoes for me to fill, and I guess it was a challenge I wasn’t up for.?

The only player to ever win three NFL MVP awards, Favre wraps up his career with 5,377 career completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions, all of which are NFL records. He also led his teams to 160 wins ? the most ever for a quarterback ? and owns a Super Bowl XXXI ring from leading the Packers to a victory over the New England Patriots.

?He has authored one of pro football?s great careers,? said Packer team president Mark Murphy. ?It?s a bittersweet time as we celebrate one of the NFL?s greatest all-time players.?

Favre was known as the sport’s ?Ironman,? having started 253 consecutive regular season games ? 275 when factoring in the playoffs ? and was beloved by sports fans everywhere for his unbridled joy for the game.

?Quite frankly, I think it’s the little boy in all of us,? Thompson said. ?I think he plays the game like you would if you were in a backyard and you were wearing Wrangler jeans. He loves to play the game. He loves the competition. I can’t say he loves getting hit, but he’s OK with it. He understands that’s part of the game.

?He’s never been a fancy-pants quarterback that doesn’t like to mix it up. He likes to play the game, and I think he appreciates the people who play the game alongside of him. And I think people can relate to that.?

Former Packer assistant coach and current NFL network analyst Steve Mariucci said, ?Throughout his 17 years, he never lost that feeling of playing the game for the first time. That’s what makes Brett Favre unlike any other player I have ever seen.?

And while Favre?s career ended distastefully with an overtime interception that led to the Packers defeat in the NFC Championship at home, the lasting memory of Favre is not his final play but is instead overshadowed by many moments such as improvised passes, his boisterous touchdown celebrations and games such as his four-touchdown Monday Night performance against the Raiders on the night following his father?s death.

?He truly was as gifted a player as I have ever seen,? Seattle head coach and former Packer coach Mike Holmgren said. ?And as proud and amazed as I am of what Brett has accomplished on the playing field, the thing that impresses me the most is what kind of a man and leader he has become off the field since I have known him. I have taken great joy in watching him develop as a person and father ? perhaps even more so ? than as a coach watching his quarterback.?