O Captain! My Captain! Joudrey fulfills role

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MH-064-JS[/media-credit]Filling the shoes of Adam Burish is no easy task for any Wisconsin captain. Registering nine goals, 24 assists and leading Wisconsin to its sixth national championship last season, Burish wore the captain's "C" for two years and became one of the most beloved Badgers in the past 10 years. When he graduated, Burish handed off his responsibilities to assistant captain Andrew Joudrey, who had the difficult task of living up to Burish's legacy. Although his scoring numbers aren't the same as his predecessor, Joudrey, much like Burish, has led the No.19 Wisconsin hockey team by example. "I think it's been tough for Andrew living in the shadow of Adam Burish," assistant captain Jeff Likens said. "Andrew does a great job. He gets the guys going really well. It's a tough act to follow, but he does a great job." Joudrey has been a staple in Wisconsin's lineup all season long. Leading the Badgers' first or second lines in every game this season, Joudrey leads by example, whether it's out on the ice or in the locker room. "He does a lot of stuff off the ice that doesn't get recognized," head coach Mike Eaves said. "Still, in that locker room, to be able to walk the walk and go out and execute, that means a lot to him." Don't be fooled, though, as Joudrey has been known to deliver clutch goals when he's needed. A season ago, Joudrey scored two game-winning goals at North Dakota, giving the Badgers their first sweep in their last seven tries in Grand Forks. He also recorded big goals at the Frozen Tundra Hockey Classic against Ohio State and against Minnesota at the WCHA Final Five to give Wisconsin the No.1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament. For Wisconsin's Brian Elliott, Joudrey has a unique shot that can be as difficult as any for a goaltender to snag. "If you look at Joe Sakic, [Joudrey] has that type of shooting," Elliott said. "He can shoot in stride, which a lot of players have trouble doing. When he has the puck at the top of the key, it's hard for a goaltender to get his body in front when he fires the puck [on net]." Last weekend, it was evident then-No. 4 St. Cloud State gave Joudrey some good scoring opportunities. Coming into the weekend having scored only four goals, Joudrey connected on three power play goals — all from just inside the right faceoff circle — that helped the Badgers earn three points on the weekend. The goals — Joudrey's first scores in the past 10 games — could salvage Wisconsin's season, as the Badgers are now right in the mix of earning home ice for the conference playoffs. "Offensively, he gave us two huge goals," Eaves said. "On the power play, he was put in the position where he was the trigger guy rather than being the quarterback. He was able to snap a couple of pucks in there." Joudrey's first goal Friday night proved to be the game winner, but it was his third goal of the weekend Saturday that typified the type of play a captain would make. With the Badgers trailing by one goal late in the third period, Joudrey fired the puck through traffic and managed to sneak it by Bobby Goepfert, one of the top goaltenders in the conference. "When you're working hard on the power play, somebody is going to be the beneficiary, and it happened to be me [last] weekend," Joudrey said. For Eaves, however, there was a play besides his three goals that shows why Joudrey is the captain. With time about to expire in overtime, Joudrey had the puck in front of St. Cloud's net with only a Huskies defenseman between him and an overtime victory. Instead of taking the shot, Joudrey waited for the defenseman to charge him and passed the puck off to Ben Street, who was inches away from scoring the goal. It is this unselfishness Joudrey brings to work every day that defines him as a hockey player. "That instant is where I thought he took his game to another level," Eaves said. "He had the poise and confidence in a key moment to hold onto the puck and wait for the defense person to make a play. If Ben (Street) had gotten the puck up like he wanted, it would have been a happy moment, but that poise is what [Joudrey] brings to the team." One of five finalists for the 2007 Hockey Humanitarian award, given to the most outstanding person in college hockey, Joudrey has stepped out from behind the shadow of Burish and defined himself as Wisconsin's captain. Whether it's motivating his team or leading by example, Joudrey has shouldered the responsibilities of being a captain and has done so in a way that makes him one of a kind. "In listening to [my son Ben] talk about what it was like to be the captain of a college hockey team, (one of) the responsibilities that you feel that you have is to be able to come through in a key moment for their teammates," Eaves said. "Andrew had that kind of weekend where we stepped up for his team. For [Joudrey], that's what it is all about, to lead by example."