Forecheck sparks Badger success

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MH-JS[/media-credit]Coming into the weekend in a tie for sixth place in conference, Wisconsin knew that it was do-or-die time. If the Badgers had any hopes of earning home-ice in the first round of the playoffs — given to the top five teams in conference — they needed to have a productive weekend against second-place St. Cloud State.

Using their aggressive forecheck, executing on special teams and overwhelming the Huskies with shots, the Badgers accomplished their goal, taking three points from the Huskies.

"We knew they were a good team that would take advantage of anything you gave them," senior goalie Brian Elliott said. "Right now, they're having a great season and they're No. 4 in the country. We were ready to come at them, prepared all week and it showed."

Under Mike Eaves, Wisconsin has been labeled as a strong defensive unit, not afraid to get down to block an opponent's shot or implement their stingy penalty kill. As good as the Badgers were in those aspects on the weekend, it was their forecheck that made it difficult for the visitors.

Wisconsin made it so challenging on St. Cloud that the Huskies were only able to get 18 shots on Elliott Friday night. For St. Cloud head coach Bob Motzko, the Badger forecheck got the Huskies out of their rhythm.

"When they get into the forecheck, [they] commit three guys to the puck," Motzko said. "That's a myth flying around that they don't play hard in the offensive zone. They're strong defensively, but their forecheck is what dictated the [weekend]."

Upon hearing the news from his counterpart, Eaves agreed the forecheck was one of the determining factors in the Badgers' results this weekend.

"A lot of games, we pinch our defensivemen, which is an aggressive way of playing," Eaves said. "I think because we play well without the puck, we get the label of being defensive. A lot of times the offense we create is because of the people we have. We were able to get on their defensemen and take away their time and space."

Along with the forecheck, the Badgers' special teams were clicking from the opening face-off Friday night. Wisconsin scored on its first power play opportunity Friday night and added another goal on the man advantage in the third period. Saturday night brought more success for Wisconsin, as Andrew Joudrey scored his third power-play goal of the weekend to help earn the Badgers a tie.

Although Wisconsin allowed a short-handed goal Friday on a fluky bounce, it was one of the few mistakes Wisconsin made on special teams all weekend.

"This time of year, everybody knows how to play their own system," Eaves said. "They aren't going to give you a lot five-on-five. To be effective in the special teams is a big thing this time of year and heading into the playoffs. It's all a matter of taking what the defense gives you and utilizing what is there."

On the other end of the spectrum, St. Cloud struggled to generate any energy or momentum off their special teams. Whether it was due to Wisconsin's forecheck or relentless defense, St. Cloud went 1-for-10 on the weekend, managing only 10 shots on the power play.

"You have to win the special teams battle on the road and we didn't do that," Motzko said. "Give Wisconsin credit [because] they played with a lot of emotion."

One of the highlights this past weekend was the matchup of two of the best goalies in college hockey leading the top two defensive units in the WCHA. SCSU's Bobby Goepfert entered the series leading the conference in save percentage — 93 percent — and allowing only 2.09 goals per game. On the other side of the ice, Elliott's track record against St. Cloud was phenomenal, holding a 3-0-1 record and allowing less than one goal a game against the Huskies.

Goepfert wasn't as fortunate as Elliott on the weekend, as the Badgers game plan called for a barrage of shots on the experienced goaltender. By firing 126 shots at the goalie in the series, Wisconsin was able to make Goepfert work for all six periods.

"When you face a good goaltender, you want to pepper him with shots and do all we can to get the puck on the net to frustrate him a little bit," sophomore winger Jack Skille said. "I think we did a good job of that. If we do that consistently, we'll be winning games."