‘High expectations’ for grappler in 2006-07 season

After a disappointing seventh-place finish in the Big Ten last year, the University of Wisconsin wrestling team has "high expectations" for this year's campaign, which begins this weekend against Dubuque and UW-Oshkosh in Green Bay.

The Badgers will have their work cut out for them this season in the very deep conference, which boasts five top-10 teams including the No. 1 team in the land, Minnesota. But with seven Badgers in the top 20 in their weight classes, including two top-five rankings, the team believes it has what it takes to be a top-tier team.

"Our goal as a team is to be in the top five in the nation," said Tyler Turner, third-year captain and the lone senior on the squad. "We have high expectations, but we have a lot of talent, and I think we're ready and willing to step up."

If the Badgers do plan on reaching the top echelon of the nation and the Big Ten, they will have to rely on youth. Boasting just one senior and several freshmen, the young wrestlers will have to develop quickly.

"What we have is a mix," UW head coach Barry Davis said. "With a younger team, you have to spend so much more time on skill work, technical skill, match readiness, etc. An upperclassman is more savvy: He's been around longer, he knows what to expect. With a mix like that, we have to combine both."

Turner sees the youth movement as an advantage.

"The younger kids definitely know how to work hard. They definitely know the goal of this program and how to get it done," said Turner, ranked fourth in the 149 lb. weight class. "They're stepping it up already, and I'm looking forward to seeing them step it up even more during the season."

Junior Craig Henning, ranked fourth nationally in his 157 lb. class, reiterated Turner's thoughts.

"It'll be a little harder at the beginning because a lot of people don't really know what to expect coming into this," Henning said. "Once we get into the Big Ten schedule, everyone will be excited to go, and it'll be a fun year."

Both Henning and Turner, who each have their sights set on individual national championships, have emerged as the leaders of this team, according to Davis.

"Tyler is more verbal than Craig," Davis said. "They both take a leadership role. I think they're both doing a great job with this team, leading by example."

"Tyler's … not one to be scared to come up to someone and tell them what's going on," Henning said. "He's more vocal and lets the younger guys know what needs to be done."

In his third year as captain, Turner has certainly had time to get acquainted with his role, and he has learned to embrace it.

"Being the only senior, a lot of guys are going to be looking up to me," Turner said. "Just going out there every practice, working my butt off and letting those guys see what that's all about, that's something I've embraced and used to my advantage."

Leadership is something Turner may have learned from coach Davis. Davis won an Olympic silver medal in 1984 and still holds several collegiate wrestling records at perennial powerhouse Iowa. While at UW, Davis has been known to stress the little things.

"He's very meticulous to the little details," Turner said. "He knows what needs to be done not only in workouts but in your technique. He gives me a sense of being conscious of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it."

"Coach Davis has been great," Henning added. "He tells me what I need to do to compete and get into that top level … telling me what to eat, when to go to bed and (when to) wake up."

Entering his 13th season as the Badgers' head coach, Davis sees this team as different from the rest of the pack.

"The depth of the team is big, and we've never had that before," Davis said. "We've got a lot of returners back and new faces at the same time. That will make us stronger now and in the years to come."

The road to the top of the Big Ten begins Friday night against Dubuque and UW-Oshkosh.

"The way we work out and the way we train, they shouldn't be able to compete with us, plain and simple," Turner said. "I'll be very surprised and a little disappointed if we do (have to compete)."

If Turner's sentiments remain the same for the rest of the year, it could be a very successful season for the Badgers.