Family, friends have Lambo’s back

Many sport the barbed wire around the bicep for the bad-ass look. Others opt for the four-leaf clover for luck. What is Wisconsin men's soccer defender Zack Lambo's motivational tattoo, you might ask? Well, the answer may surprise you: The 5-foot-10, 170-pound sophomore has the majority of his back tattooed with an homage to past loved ones and proud emblems of his heritage.

"Almost my whole back is covered in tattoos," Lambo said. "They all have to do with my family and friends."

While his artistic back may intrigue many people, it is the defending maestro's left foot that has caught the attention of opposing teams this season.

Phrases like "textbook service," "on-a-dime accuracy" and "pinpoint crossing" often come to mind when Lambo tees up and strikes a ball. While one has undoubtedly heard of the potential of David Beckham's right foot, the similar prowess of Lambo's left has not been as well-documented.

"He's got a great shot from distance, he serves a good ball and he's a great passer," Wisconsin head coach Jeff Rohrman said of Lambo. "You know, he brings a very polished left foot, and he's done a tremendous job for us so far this year … he's just been a terrific addition to our defense."

While Beckham's success has come with the advantage of playing in the attacking midfield, Lambo has become the co-leader in points for the Badgers from his position at left back. With nine points from three goals and three assists, the phenom is proof that great defenders can get into the offensive mix with a little discipline.

"He can get into the attack even though he's a left back — especially in a four-back system," Rohrman said. "He's got to pick and choose his times when he can get forward, but, obviously, he can certainly make things happen for us in the offensive third."

When asked about his play on the field, Lambo claims his best attributes are probably his ability to think quickly and his free-kick skills.

"I think my decision-making has definitely gotten a lot better," Lambo said. "My communication on the field — just getting more comfortable with the guys after being around them for two years — has definitely improved. I think my free kicks, my dead balls, have also gotten better … I've gotten a lot more practice, a lot more reps with those."

Off the field, Lambo is an easy-going, very likeable character who has adapted well with the rest of his teammates over the course of two years.

"He's become more comfortable and he's opened up more, just being in that second year," Rohrman said. "He brings a lot of good leadership qualities, and he's become accustomed to what we're trying to do with the other players. We're just seeing a lot more of his personality come out, which is good, because he's got a great personality."

In addition to Lambo's sparkling personality, the free-kick specialist has also presented a sense of maturity and responsibility envied by most people.

"He's a very mature young man," Rohrman said. "He certainly takes pride in taking care of all of the things in his life — be it his academics or his soccer or his family."

The pride Lambo's tattoos display is clear evidence of his respect for his close friends and family members.

"On my upper back, I have an angel which is my grandma," Lambo said. "There [are] clouds around her feet and [the clouds] have two initials in them, and those are my two friends who died in a car crash. I have all my friends and family who die — their initials — in the clouds, and it's kind of like they're watching over me."

In regard to his familial pride, Lambo's tattoos do the talking.

"On each shoulder blade, I have 'Dad' in Macedonian — his heritage — and 'Mom' in Ukranian on the other side, because that's her background. Then, across my lower back, I have 'Lambo' in Macedonian."

Regardless of whether Lambo leads his team to a Big Ten championship this season, one thing is certain: His family and friends have always got his back.