Badgers compete in 2005 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships

[media-credit name=’uwbadgers.com’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]tegenkamp_416[/media-credit]Badgers head to US Championships: Four members of the UW men's track team and one member of the UW women's track team joined four former Badgers at the 2005 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships Thursday in Carson Ca.

Chris Solinsky, Tim Nelson and recent graduate Matt Tegenkamp will all compete in the men's 5,000 meters, Demi Omole will run the men's 100-meter dash, Alonzo Moore will enter the men's triple jump and Melissa Talbot will compete in the women's heptathlon. Former Badgers Josh Spiker (1500 meters), Matt Downin (10,000 meters) and Isaiah Festa (steeplechase) will also compete in the four-day tournament.

Downin, who graduated from Wisconsin in 2000, enters the championships as the highest-seeded athlete in the UW contingent. After clocking a mark of 28 minutes, 37.09 seconds, Downin is the No. 7 seed in the 10,000-meter field. Tegenkamp is the No. 8 seed in the 5,000 meters and Solinsky ranks No. 10 in the 5,000.

The championships will feature nearly 1,000 of the top track and field performers in the country, all battling for a bid to represent the United States in the World Outdoor Championships Aug. 6-14 in Helsinki, Finland.

Krabbenhoft sidelined: Incoming freshman Joe Krabbenhoft, a highly touted 6-foot-7 recruit for the UW men's basketball team, will have to put his Wisconsin debut on hold after athletic trainer Henry Perez-Guerra diagnosed the newcomer with a left foot injury.

According to a report in the Wisconsin State Journal, a follow-up exam last Wednesday revealed a slight break in the foot, which will sideline Krabbenhoft for 4-6 weeks. However, the paper reports, Krabbenhoft should be cleared to play when the Badgers begin practice in the fall.

Krabbenhoft injured the same foot during his prep career, undergoing surgery in his junior season at Roosevelt High after suffering a stress fracture.

Gridiron game times announced: The Big Ten Conference and ESPN have now announced start times for six of Wisconsin's 12 football games for the upcoming season.

The Badgers' first four games will air on ESPN networks. Wisconsin's Sept. 3 season opener against Bowling Green will kick off at 11 am on ESPN, the following week's tilt against Temple is another 11 am start on ESPN, the Badgers' week three matchup at North Carolina is set for 6 pm on ESPN2 and Badger fans will be treated to a Camp Randall nightcap in week four as Michigan returns to Madison for a 6/6:45 start that will air on either ESPN or ESPN2.

Wisconsin's Oct. 22 matchup against Purdue is set for 2:30 on ABC and the season finale in Honolulu, Hawaii is scheduled for 8 pm on ESPN2.

— uwbadgers.com contributed to this report