Badgers fail NFL drug test

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]antajj_dm_416[/media-credit]Former Wisconsin football players Anttaj Hawthorne and Jonathan Clinkscale tested positive for marijuana during February’s NFL Combine, Pro Football Weekly reported Tuesday.

Pro Football Weekly writer Nolan Nawrocki confirmed the report, but would not comment on the source of the information. Nawrocki said he verified the story more than seven times before filing the report.

The test results, which were intended to remain confidential, were sent to all NFL teams Friday, according to Nawrocki’s report. Of the four players who allegedly tested positive, Hawthorne is the top draft prospect.

Heading into the combine, the standout tackle seemed a virtual lock to be chosen in the first two rounds of the April 23-24 draft. However, questions about his work ethic and determination have affected his draft status. The positive drug test may move Hawthorne further down the draft board.

The results will also affect Clinkscale, who is projected to go in the middle or late rounds of the draft. The former Badger was part of an offensive line that allowed just 22 sacks last season.

Overshadowed by Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year Erasmus James, Hawthorne’s numbers were not as high as many anticipated in 2004. However, the tackle led the heralded UW defensive line, all of whom attended the NFL Combine, with 42 tackles last season. Hawthorne matched James for the team lead in tackles for loss (11.5) and finished second behind James in sacks (6).

In addition to Hawthorne and Clinkscale, Clemson defensive tackle Eric Coleman and Bowie State strong safety Atcheson Conway also tested positive for marijuana. Neither is projected to factor into the draft picture until the later rounds.