Badger grapplers set for Tennessee

Head coach Barry Davis and the 15th-ranked Wisconsin wrestling team will travel to Chattanooga, Tenn., to face UT-Chattanooga and Kent State in back to back duals this weekend.

The Badgers are fresh off a strong showing at the Cliff Keen Invitational where they finished ninth out of 46 teams. UT-Chattanooga looks to be the Badgers’ biggest test this weekend as they bring a 6-2 record against the 3-0 Badgers.

Leading the Badgers into Tennessee will be 133-pounder Tom Clum who currently holds a 10-1 record. Clum will wrestle national qualifier Josh Keefe in his match against UT-Chattanooga. Keefe is 7-3 this year and looking to pick up his first victory against a ranked opponent.

Another matchup between national qualifiers will be at 157 pounds, where the Badgers’ Tyler Turner faces off with Jake Yost. Yost is only 2-1 this year, but will make Turner earn his victory.

At 141 pounds, senior Tyler Laudon will take a 7-2 record into his match against wild card national qualifier Michael Keefe. Keefe has already wrestled 24 matches this season and has won 18 of them.

Kent State returns six qualifiers from a team that hopes to improve upon a dismal 2003-04 dual record of 7-14. The Golden Flashes return 2003 National Qualifier Drew Opfer who will enter the weekend with a 7-2 record.

At 149 pounds, Craig Henning will try to add two more victories to his 12-2 record. The true freshman has been on a hot streak, recording three pins and a technical fall in less than 15 matches.

The dual between Kent State and the Badgers will see two of the youngest teams in the nation face off. The Badgers are led by two redshirt freshmen, a true freshman and a sophomore.

The double dual will be the last action Wisconsin sees for almost a month. The Badgers won’t compete again until Jan. 8 at the Lone Star Duals in Texas. The dual tournament will be the last competition the Badgers face outside the Big Ten until the NCAA championships. Last year, the Badgers won the duals going 4-0 and defeating 10th-ranked Cornell.

Less than a week after the Lone Star Duals, the Badgers will open up their Big Ten season at home January 14 against the high-ranked Fighting Illini. Last year, Wisconsin put up one of their less memorable performances of the season, losing 9-30 to Illinois.