UW hockey players earn individual honors

UW junior defender Carla MacLeod was named a 2004 American Hockey Coaches Association Second-Team All-American this past weekend.

MacLeod, a native of Calgary, Alberta, led the Badgers to a 25-6-3 overall record, which stands as the best in school history, and an 18-5-1 mark in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association this season.

She tallied five goals and 18 assists for 23 points this season, including Wisconsin’s overtime game-winning goal in the 2-1 win against Minnesota, the newly crowned NCAA champion, on Feb. 13. MacLeod also ranks second on the team with a +31 plus/minus rating.

A two-time WCHA and U.S. College Hockey Online National Player of the Week this season, MacLeod was also selected to the All-WCHA Second Team. This season’s league and national honors mark the first of her three-year UW career.

During her Badger career, she has recorded nine goals and 46 assists for 55 total points. A 2002 WCHA All-Tournament Defender and the Badgers’ 2002 Co-Defensive Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year as a freshman, MacLeod improved to a +55-career mark.

She has represented her home country as a member of the 2003 Canadian Women’s National Team at the Four Nations Cup and also led Canada’s Under-22 National Team as its captain during a three-game series against Team USA last July. She has skated for Canada’s Under-22 National Team since 1999.

Boeser, Brückler named to All-East Region Team

Senior defenseman Dan Boeser (Savage, Minn.) and junior goaltender Bernd Brückler (Graz, Austria) were selected to the All-East Region Team this past weekend after guiding the Badgers to the regional final. Brückler was also named the region’s most outstanding player.

Boeser scored the overtime game-winning goal that gave Wisconsin a 1-0 victory over the second-seeded Ohio State Buckeyes to put the Badgers within one contest of reaching the 2004 NCAA Frozen Four.

Brückler tied the school record with his fourth shutout of the season in the overtime victory and allowed just two goals in two games.

In total, the goaltender stopped 54 of 56 shots faced: all 28 against Ohio State and 26 of 28 against Maine.

Wisconsin completed its season 22-13-8, which is a nine-victory improvement over last season. The record helped the Badgers reach their first NCAA tournament since the 2001 season and its first since the field expanded to 16 with the start of the 2002-03 season.

compiled from staff reports