‘House of Cards-Wisconsin’ takes thrilling new turn

Corruption in state government is stranger than fiction
Joey Reuteman

Man … this new season of House of Cards-Wisconsin is just gripping.

In the midst of battling allegations of rigging his recall election, our favorite character, Gov. Scott Walker, now faces a surge of leaked John Doe documents just released by a British-based news source.

Who could forget the exhilarating events of last season? Walker eventually managed to weather the storm and hold on to his throne after the people of Wisconsin demanded he be overthrown.  

After the big win, Walker just did his thing for a couple years. He signed some laws, cut University of Wisconsin System funding and even made a stab at a bid for the White house. All was right in Walker’s world.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/03/28/these-are-the-college-affordability-bills-walker-just-signed-into-law/

But the plot thickened.

According to these recently leaked documents, Walker has apparently been working in cahoots with a mysterious and shadowy group called the Wisconsin Club for Growth. And it gets better. After he helped raise millions of dollars in funding for this nonprofit group, the Wisconsin Club for Growth coordinated fundraising for Walker’s campaign during the recall election as a way to say thanks.

So much exciting entertainment — too bad it’s not actually a television show.

All sarcasm aside, it’s pretty terrifying to see how much corruption is going down in the state government. The amount of campaigns on the Wisconsin Club for Growth’s payroll is astounding.

Several Republican senators were carried through the recall election with the help of the Wisconsin Club for Growth. Even worse is the fact that this group led efforts to elect some members of the Wisconsin Supreme Court. The same court which decided to stop investigations into these John Doe documents in the first place.

Needless to say, these are some dark times for Wisconsin politics. All we can do is hope the U.S. Supreme Court can make things right when they announce their decision on the case within a couple months.

Phil Michaelson ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in biomedical engineering.