Certificates provide necessary incentive to study foreign language

English, Deutsch, Español, François, 日本語, русский, Türkçe, Dansk, Português—an understanding of any of these languages can unlock the doors to an unlimited number of unique relationships, cultural experiences and career opportunities. Here at the University of Wisconsin, we are fortunate to have the opportunity to learn so many diverse languages. From Icelandic to Quechua, the possibilities seem endless.

However, the curriculum at UW makes obtaining a tangible degree in a foreign language difficult to accomplish for most students. While learning a foreign language can be a fun experience, it is not a challenge that many students undertake simply because it is enjoyable. The majority of students who major in a language do so with the express purpose of obtaining a job where they can use it. This poses a problem for students who want to learn a foreign language just because they would like to be bilingual or just because they find it enjoyable.

As most of us are aware, the university requires students to take some foreign language courses. While this may at first seem like a burdensome annoyance, many students grow to enjoy being able to speak a foreign language at a basic level. If a student wants to continue their foreign language education beyond the required number of courses, they are more than able to. However, this is rarely a choice that people make.

For many students, pursuing a foreign language major in addition to another major more directly related to their career plans would make graduating in four years impossible. Even if they want to take foreign language courses for fun, it isn’t always practical to take increasingly difficult foreign language courses with so many other easier courses to take. Few students would take an advanced level Spanish course which is not required, instead of taking a 100-level science course that knocks off a science requirement and earns them an “A” with one-third of the work.

Ultimately, the logical strategy after completing foreign language requirements is to stop taking them and opt for a more efficient alternative. It doesn’t make sense to continue taking classes in a foreign language without a plan to complete a degree in the field. Whether a student takes three French courses or nine, at the end of the day on a graduate school or job application they will only be able to say that they took some French courses. The applicant has no definitive way of conveying how much French they actually know.

Yet, some cases have a solution to the problem of demonstrating proficiency in a language without completing a major. This exception lies within the German Department. As a student of German, I am fortunate enough to have the option of earning a certificate in German. The German certificate boils down to about one half of the requirements of the German major.

This is a practice other language departments on campus should embrace, especially the more popular languages like Spanish, French and Japanese. The certificate provides students with a tangible incentive to work towards—in fact, it is the tangible prospect of the certificate itself that has made continuing German worthwhile for me. After graduating, rather than telling employers or post-undergraduate institutions that I took some German courses, I will be able to provide them with an official document that carries the weight of UW.

While the practical aspects of the certificate sealed the deal and convinced me to continue German, I have enjoyed learning about another culture. On top of that, I have become a more worldly and enlightened individual due to the experiences that I have had in my German classes.

More students will continue their foreign language education if certificates are offered for any foreign language that students can major in. A UW degree will do more work for the student who earns it if the option of a language certificate is made available.

Jared Mehre ([email protected]is a junior majoring in political science, sociology and legal studies with a certificate in German.