Republican Senate bill threatens student tenants

Wisconsin State Senate Republicans have passed a bill that would redefine the tenant-landlord relationship. If this bill becomes law, which it likely will, tenants will find themselves with even fewer rights when it comes to dealing with their landlords.

In the city of Madison, we are fortunate to have some of the most tenant-friendly laws in both the state and nation. However, the passage of this bill would take away the local control that the city of Madison, or any city for that matter, has over creating housing laws. Every city in Wisconsin is different, and each municipality has its own character and its own problems. The city of Madison is at times an island of its own when it comes to civil liberties and that is the way most people of this city like it.

The bill in its current form takes away numerous tenant rights. The most notable powers that landlords will be given are: the ability to tow any misparked vehicles without citations, throw away an evicted tenant’s property and force tenants to pay for any pest infestation, regardless of its origin.

The bill also allows landlords to evict tenants when a crime is committed on the property, even when tenants were unable to prevent the crime. This is certainly the most egregious part of the bill. It must be pointed out that it was only after several hours of debate that Republicans allowed a provision to be added that exempted victims of sexual abuse, domestic abuse and stalking from eviction.

This is an exceptionally disturbing part of the bill, especially in light of the crime spree we seem to be facing here on campus. All of these laws will have a disastrous effect on student housing in Madison. Approximately 75 percent of students at the University of Wisconsin live in off-campus housing, and it is a statistical certainty that a crime will occur on a student-leased property.

Another concerning provision of the bill makes it easier for landlords to assess extra fees and fines from the security deposit. After living in Madison for nearly three years and going through the house searching process, it is easy to see that not all housing is created equal. There are plenty of houses here in Madison that look as if the paint is the only thing holding them together. It should not be made easier for landlords to scam students out of money to pay for renovations that needed to be completed before the tenants moved in.

This problem is only exacerbated by the fact that landlords would not be required to fill in check-in sheets, nor would they need to return an evicted individual’s security deposit until after the property is re-rented by another occupant.

This bill destroys many of the tenant rights that we enjoy here in Madison and takes away the local control that the city has over its tenant ordinances. The ability for tenants to create a fair contract with their landlord that balances the responsibilities of both parties should not be infringed upon. It is simply not equitable to give landlords the ability to evict tenants and take money out of a person’s security deposit.

Landlords already hold the power to write leases. It is up to the state to regulate what a fair business practice looks like and defend the rights of tenants.

Jared Mehre ([email protected]is a junior majoring in political science, sociology and legal studies.