City alders inaccurately portray Care Net Pregnancy Center

The article “Pro-life facility sparks controversy with Madison alder, community,” which appeared in the Jan. 29  Badger Herald, included inaccurate statements and false assumptions regarding Care Net Pregnancy Center of Dane County.

In the article, Ald. Joe Clausius, District 17, made statements that alienated Care Net when he reffered to it as “an anti-choice organization” and stated Care Net “[attempts] to take away a woman’s right to make her own reproductive choice.”

Neither of these statements is true of Care Net Pregnancy Center. Care Net is not a political organization and does not attempt to take away women’s rights. Care Net provides options, help and support for women facing unplanned pregnancies and concerns about their sexual health. It offers professional pregnancy-related medical services, education, a residential program and ongoing support. Care Net’s medical personnel, staff and client advocates take time to listen compassionately to each client to hear about her or his thoughts, feelings and values. All of their services are provided freely and confidentially.

Care Net serves women and men regardless of age, race, income, religious affiliation or any other arbitrary circumstances. It operates with the utmost integrity, providing information that is medically accurate and sensitive to each client’s needs. It does not offer, recommend or refer women for abortions. The goal of Care Net is to empower women to make informed pregnancy choices. Women deserve a safe place to turn, one with no vested interest in the critical decision she makes regarding her pregnancy or sexual health.

Perhaps the best recommendation for Care Net Pregnancy Center comes from women who have sought help from Care Net. In 2012, 97 percent of Care Net’s clients rated everything about Care Net as excellent in exit surveys, and all said they would recommend Care Net to a friend.

“I love coming to Care Net; it is just a safe and wonderful place,” wrote a Care Net client on an optional exit survey at the end of her visit. Another wrote, “I was not judged! I was listened to; it was amazing.” And a third said “Great & caring staff! I received more help than expected. It was above my expectations. I am very happy I chose Care Net!”

Care Net is a valuable community asset and is committed to empowering and educating individuals in Dane County. As a volunteer at Care Net, I have witnessed the selfless sacrifices made to ensure young women and men have access to resources and education. Care Net is dedicated to delivering professional services to meet community needs with empathy, compassion and truth.

I’d like to end with the words of another former client, “The nurse told me everything I needed to know. I would strongly recommend Care Net and I did to two of my friends … I liked everything … It made me feel like I’m home.”

Leah Teschan ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in human development and family studies. She is a Care Net volunteer.