Varsity Day to bring prestigious speakers

Last year, the visit of Neil deGrasse Tyson created an excitement on campus and also placed the University of Wisconsin in the national spotlight following his moving speech. The Associated Students of Madison Student Government has taken notice of this student interest and began addressing the idea with the proposed creation of “Varsity Day”. 

It is our top priority to serve the interests of all students on our campus and to reflect the pride that comes with being a Badger. A very tangible, visible way to do this is to ensure that a high profile speaker is brought to campus to celebrate the accomplishments, achievements and hard work put in by every UW student.
In collaboration with the Senior Class Officers, the Distinguished Lecture Series, the Wisconsin Union and the Division of Student Life, we are proposing the implementation of “Varsity Day” to continue to serve the mission of the university and to respect the goals and aspirations of our student body. The partnership will allow for UW to gain respect, prestige and provide a new level of excellence for the students during Varsity Day.
We are proud to say that this is an event proposed by students, for students, and will be a direct benefit to the university. Varsity Day gives the student body another opportunity to contribute to the direction of the university and make our university more prestigious among its peers.

Varsity Day will directly benefit the student body as well as create an exciting atmosphere for the hard working students at the university. The presence of an esteemed speaker will also increase national visibility for the university. The Associated Students of Madison is hoping to accomplish this goal and give back to campus by bringing in a regarded and well-known speaker, who can inspire students and reflect positively on the university.

As your student body leadership at the Associated Students of Madison, we encourage you to contact us with your thoughts and consider supporting this powerful initiative to make our university a better place.

Andrew Bulovsky, Chair, Associated Students of Madison 

Maria Giannopoulos, Vice Chair, Associated Students of Madison 

Sarah Neibart, Chief of Staff, Associated Students of Madison