Mifflin rules can improve our safety

The highly anticipated Mifflin Street Block Party is less than a week away. However, there seems to be so many rumors about this year’s Mifflin that it is hard to figure out what to believe. We are here to put these rumors to rest and explain what is really going to happen on Mifflin. We are a group of students who have worked closely with city officials, members of the neighborhood and the police in preparation for Mifflin, and one thing we can say for sure is that this year’s event will see some serious changes.

Unlike past years, this year’s party will have no sponsor. The responsibility of a sponsor is to take out a street use permit with the city, allowing the temporarily closure of Mifflin Street the day of the event. This permit would also allow vendors to be present on the street. A sponsor can also choose to take out an entertainment permit, allowing amplified music on the street. Since there is no sponsor of Mifflin this year, the responsibility has fallen upon the city to handle the event.

The city is not sponsoring the event, and this means major changes will take place. One is no open containers of alcohol will be permitted on the streets, sidewalks and terraces.

Second, there will be no vendors or entertainment at the event. Entertainment is not limited to a stage and speakers, it includes amplified music from residential houses on Mifflin and street performers. Offenders will receive large fines, potentially have their party deemed a nuisance (i.e., in violation of the nuisance law passed last February) and be subject to arrest.

Another modification, and one with serious consequences, is the city will not be taking out a street use permit. This means that Mifflin Street will NOT be closed to traffic on Saturday. Students should know that anyone standing in the street before it is closed down runs the risk of being arrested. The police are required by law to close the street for safety reasons once the number of attendees reaches a certain amount, but this does not guarantee the police will not ask people to leave or even stop making arrests once they have closed off the street.

Finally, the biggest change this year’s party will see is the enforcement of trespassing laws. This means that anyone can be arrested for standing in someone’s front or backyard if they were not personally invited by a tenant of that house to be there. Houses enforcing this law will have a “No Trespassing” sign clearly posted on their house.

The city recognizes that Mifflin is going to happen regardless of all these changes, but they will still continue to downsize the event and will be enforcing all city ordinances. There are many things attendees can be arrested for, and each partygoer should know that they will be held accountable for their actions.

We as students know how frustrating it is to run such a high risk for a day of enjoyment, but we encourage everyone to be as safe and smart as possible. If there is any chance for Mifflin to continue in the future, it is necessary for this year’s event to go smoothly. We want to enjoy Mifflin, and this can be done without being disrespectful or unsafe.

Members of the Mifflin Street Block Party who contributed are:

Rachel Lepak ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science. 

Devon Maier ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in political science.

Maria Giannopoulos ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in political science and communication arts.

Hannah Somers ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science and Scandinavian studies.

Jacob Miller ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science and history.