Letter to the editor: ‘Right to Work’ laws yet another attack on working class

Joey Reuteman

With the reelection of Gov. Scott Walker this past November, everybody is wondering what is next for the Republican-controlled state Senate and Assembly. We may have gotten our answer this past Monday.

The Associated Press reported a new group of conservatives recently came together in favor of a hot button issue that is particularly heated in the state of Wisconsin. The issue they wish to pursue is right to work laws. Right to work laws, simply put, are laws created to allow a person the right not to join a union at a unionized company if they wish. This is the latest in a string of attacks against working class Wisconsinites since Act 10 in 2011.

In 2011, Act 10 left many Wisconsinites baffled at the outright attacks against unions, at least in the public sector. This new fight would broaden the union bashing tactics of Wisconsin’s current administration to include private unions, as well. The public should not be deceived by the title of “right to work.” These laws take away the little power that the working class has and puts it back in the hands of the companies.

Supreme Court sides with Walker on collective bargaining, voter ID legislation

At unionized companies, workers need strength in numbers to have a voice to match that of the company, which is where the union steps in to mediate between the employees and the company. The workers are not simply forced to unionize; whenever the contract between the workers and the company is set to expire, a new vote is taken on whether or not the workers should be represented by a union. There is a choice whether or not the workers will unionize, and it comes down to majority rule.

Unions rely on dues from its members in order to function. They need money to operate, just like any other organization. Right to work laws allow less money to go into unions by giving the people a choice whether they wish to pay dues or not. If given a choice, many people would not willingly pay into something if they don’t see the immediate benefits. For example, how many Americans would pay their taxes if given the choice? If Wisconsin chooses to go down the road of right to work, we will see the foundation of unions in this state begin to crumble. Furthermore, without unions, we will lose all that has been achieved in the last quarter century for workers’ rights. The consequences of right to work would include drops in pay, elimination of jobs, cuts to vacation and overtime benefits and worse physical working conditions altogether.

It’s pretty certain that right to work legislation will come up in the upcoming months. Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said Thursday he was working on putting together information in order to take up right to work debate in early 2015.

So I urge my fellow Wisconsinites to stand together, in solidarity with your fellow workers. We will not stand idly by as the working class is torn apart through an alluring label such as “right to work.”

Danny Levandoski (danny.levandoski@gmail.com) is a sophomore majoring in political science and history.