Don’t believe Fox News: Young women should vote

Flickr user Yongho Kim

Young women of America, it looks like we’re off the hook for that pesky thing called voting. Why? Well, it’s the same reason “young women on juries aren’t a good idea.” Apparently, we just don’t get it. Recently, the hosts of Fox News’s “The Five” sat down and attempted to answer the question of why young, single women as a group are more likely to vote for Democrats than Republicans, while older, married women tend to be more conservative. They came to an interesting, although completely offensive, point: young women just “don’t get it.”

The reason for this lack of wisdom? According to co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle, “[Young women are] not in that same life experience of paying the bills, doing the mortgage, kids, community, crime, education, health care. They’re like healthy and hot and running around without a care in the world.” She continued to say that she would “thank and excuse” young women from civic duty such as voting and jury duty so they can go back on Tinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDjyAaihcQM

Responding to the controversy her comments caused, Guilfoyle stood by her words and claimed the “liberal media” twisted her point while fellow host Greg Gutfeld commented on the “lie behind militant feminism.”

To summarize, young women such as myself are uninformed, unwise and too busy with Tinder to become more informed, realize the error of our ways and vote for conservatives or be effective jury members. If someone thinks this is sexist, they CLEARLY are a militant lefty feminist.

Once I was done laughing and then weeping at the thought that a former assistant district attorney who happens to be female herself (and was therefore once one of the young women she belittles), truly said these things I was able to fully appreciate the clear sexism of her statements.

First, there’s the assumption that the reason young women vote for Democrats is because we silly young women just don’t know any better. To make the generalization that young women, or any group for that matter, would have less “life experience” or be generally uninformed about politics based solely on the fact that they are young women is grossly sexist.

Furthermore, the implication that women are not informed because they are potentially sexually active is laughable. It’s common knowledge that the more sex you have, the less political knowledge you possess … oh wait, that’s complete bullshit. I can’t help but wonder if she would apply the same standards to men. My guess is no.

Madeline Sweitzer ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science and intending to major in journalism.