Point CounterPoint: Endorsement of a gubernatorial candidate – College Democrats

Mary Burke the best candidate for Wis.

With only eight days until Election Day, we must make the final push to get out the vote Nov. 4. The College Democrats have spent months talking with students about the importance of this election. We have the opportunity to vote in the most crucial election of our lives. So, let’s get down to the brass tacks of why you should vote for Mary Burke Nov. 4.

1.     Mary Burke supports raising the minimum wage to $10.10.

Democrats across the state support a two-year plan to gradually increase the minimum wage. This not only benefits students, who often work at low-paying jobs, but also the thousands of Wisconsin families who depend on the minimum wage to survive. Burke understands that $7.25 is not enough to live on, while our out-of-touch governor believes that a minimum wage “serves no purpose.” We need a governor who listens to Wisconsinites and understands that raising the minimum wage will grow Wisconsin’s economy.

2.     Wisconsin cannot afford four more years of Gov. Scott Walker’s failed jobs plan.

We’ve all heard the numbers — Wisconsin ranked 45th in job creation, Walker’s failed “250,000 jobs” plan — what these numbers mean, however, is that whatever Walker is doing, it’s not working for Wisconsin. Burke has business experience creating jobs and balancing a budget, something that Walker cannot do. She knows that we need to invest in education and small businesses to strengthen jobs in Wisconsin.

3.     Wisconsin women need a governor who believes in their right to equal pay and fair healthcare choices.

For the last four years, Walker has consistently restricted women’s rights in our state. From repealing the Pay Equity Enforcement Act to cutting funding for Planned Parenthood Clinics, this administration has made clear that women’s autonomy is not a priority. Walker may pretend to support a woman’s right to choose, but the legislation coming from his desk says otherwise. Burke supports gender equality and women’s freedom to make their own decisions about their bodies.

4.     Mary Burke believes all Wisconsinites deserve affordable healthcare.

When the Affordable Care Act went into effect, Walker decided to reject the federal aid offered to expand Medicare. This means thousands of Wisconsinites were left without healthcare, and everyone’s exchange premiums were much higher than they would have been. Republicans have attempted to make Obamacare less effective, for their own political gains and at the expense of Wisconsin residents. Burke would accept the federal money owed to our state and expand coverage to everyone.

5.     For students, this election will directly impact the future of our education.

Burke wants to invest in public education, from kindergarten through the university system. While Walker’s tuition freeze sounds great, it is a temporary solution to an even greater problem. This, combined with massive cuts to the University of Wisconsin system, has created an unsustainable policy that will leave the heavy burden on the backs of Wisconsin students. Burke knows we are paying too much for tuition and student loans; she supports policy that allows students to refinance their student loans at lower interest rates. To encourage higher education, we must empower students to achieve without the fear of debt holding them back.

The most recent Marquette Law School Poll shows that Burke and Walker are tied at 47 percent. When students turn out to vote, we win. This is your chance to have an impact on an election that will decide the future of Wisconsin. Your vote for Burke will do more for this state than ever before, and this is your chance to be on the right side of history.

We’ll see you at the polls!