Letter to the Editor: College Republicans ignore Walker’s history as governor

Letter to the Editor: College Republicans ignore Walkers history as governor
Herald File Photo

The ongoing campaign for governor between Mary Burke and Gov. Scott Walker has left many issues lingering for further debate. The promises from the current governor have led many to question the credibility and readiness for Walker to serve a second term as governor of Wisconsin.

As described in a College Republicans op-ed last week, the governor’s race can be portrayed as an interview for the candidates running for office and Wisconsin acting as the employer. Burke was scrutinized for being unqualified because of her experience as a former executive at Trek Bicycle and serving as the Wisconsin secretary of commerce. I suppose a bachelor’s degree from Georgetown and master’s degree from Harvard Business School isn’t sufficient educational requirements to run for office, either.

College Republicans: Burke’s job experience makes her an unqualified gubernatorial candidate

If the lens is shifted to the history of Walker, however, there is not much of a comparison. Walker does not have a college degree. Nowadays, I think that is something all employers evaluate. In terms of the policies he’s created in Wisconsin, few have bipartisan support, and many have been drawn into court on the basis of legality. Not too long ago, Walker was associated with a criminal investigation for circumventing state election laws by taking outside funding for his campaigning. Any association with these activities leaves Walker in a suspicious and untrustworthy perspective.

Many students are aware of the recent order that halted the controversial voter ID law. Walker, claiming it was intended to prevent voter fraud, could have disenfranchised thousands of black and Latino voters in the upcoming November election. The Supreme Court halted the implementation of the law. However, Walker was a strong advocate of voter ID. Perhaps his enthusiasm stems from the knowledge of the number of minorities who tend to vote more liberal.

U.S. Supreme Court blocks implementation of Wisconsin voter ID law

The most striking assertion made publicly by Walker was his opposition to raising the minimum wage. He claimed that $7.25 per hour is a livable wage for the people of Wisconsin. It is not. In fact, some low-wage workers need federal assistance. The expansion of social programs like Medicaid is another thing Walker has viciously opposed.

Finally, one of the most important points to keep in mind is that Walker is a potential contender for the 2016 presidential election. As a serious candidate, he will be willfully planning, raising money and traveling all around the country campaigning. The future for Wisconsin cannot afford to be a second priority. This presidential campaigning will distract Walker of his responsibilities and duties as governor.

Hopefully this refresher sheds some light on the magnitude of what is at stake. Overall, it is clear that I will not be voting for someone who demonstrates a consistent pattern of violating relevant laws while serving in office, even if his opponent takes extra long snowboarding vacations.

Jason Snyder ([email protected]) is a sophomore with an undecided major.