Five things to do as a new student

While it’s still the middle of the summer, it’s never too soon to start planning your future adventures in Madison.  In late August and early September, 43,000 Badgers will come out of summer hibernation, and Madison will see a mass migration of new and returning students. Approximately 7,000 of them will be freshmen (like you). As many current students are likely to agree, entering a major university of more than 40,000 enrolled students may seem daunting. Well, fortunately for you, I’m here as your (all expenses paid) guide with five recommendations to make the most of your first semester experience at the University of Wisconsin.

1. Go to a Football Game

As many might expect, Badger football games easily found a spot in the top five. While the anxiety and chaos of trying to obtain football season tickets before they sell out is comparable to the frenzy of the Hunger Games, the reward is well worth it. Not only does Wisconsin consistently produce top 25 teams, it is also renowned for the game day experience and football atmosphere. USA TODAY ranked Madison as the nation’s best football town. Whether it is the brats and beverage tailgates before the game or the shenanigans that ensue in the student section come kickoff, nothing beats a Badger football game on a crisp autumn afternoon, especially when more than 80,000 Badgers lose their minds and leg strength to House of Pain’s “Jump Around.”

2. Attend a Party

Of course not everyone parties, but part of the college experience for many is partying. While I’m not forcing anyone into drinking or partying, I highly recommend incoming freshman to test the partying waters before making a final decision on their weekend nightlife. I know a few people who entered college too nervous and/or cautious when it came to partying their first year, and now they deeply regret it. Princeton Review recently placed Madison 8th in their 2014 list of top 20 party schools in America. With such a highly acclaimed nightlife scene, it might be in your best interest to see what Madison has to offer. Take a chance and try out the party scene at least once. You don’t even have to drink, but you can truthfully judge whether or the party life was meant for you.

3. Try a new restaurant on State Street

If you haven’t heard of State Street yet, then you need to do some research. State Street is slightly off the heart of campus, but easily within walking distance of every dorm. State Street is not a traditional street. Traffic is limited to buses, police and bikes. It is lined with a variety of shops and restaurants waiting to lighten your pockets. While Chipotle and Starbucks are two of the most popular stops for students, there are many more restaurants to try — from Rising Sons to Tutto Pasta. I’m sure most will eventually find their way to State Street for new food experiences, as one can only eat dining hall food for so long.

4. Hang out at the Terrace

UW is fortunate to have two awesome unions to take advantage of. Union South, which opened in the spring of 2011, offers students a variety of food options along with recreational activities including bowling, rock climbing and billiards. The older Memorial Union rests on Lake Mendota and is home to Madison’s signature Terrace. The Terrace is well-known for its summery green, orange and yellow metal chairs and the live music provided on many nights when the weather permits. It is a popular hangout spot for many people and its picturesque view of the lake makes it a perfect place to study when warm enough. If you didn’t know, Madison gets cold in the winter, so take advantage of the good weather as soon as possible and check out the Terrace.

5. Find your Study Spot

Let’s not forget the reason you came to college – academics.  As if enough people haven’t warned you, college is far different than high school. You need to study every day to suceed. With so much time spent on schoolwork, it’s critical to find a spot on campus where you can get in a study rhythm — a cozy State Street coffee shop to the Wisconsin Historical Society or the Memorial Library cages. In college, and especially at Madison, it is easy to get sidetracked and mismanage your time and schoolwork. This means that locating a spot to comfortably complete work early on will be a key to first semester success this fall.

Ryan Smith ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in strategic communications.