Point CounterPoint: Upcoming campaigns to keep an eye on – College Democrats

Wisconsin deserves new leadership. Although Gov. Scott Walker has touted a plan to create more jobs, he has only stripped Wisconsin workers of their rights. His job goals have not been met, and those few jobs that have been created under his time in office do not offer Wisconsin residents a living wage. These are only a few of the reasons why this upcoming governor’s race is so important to Wisconsin students.

Unlike Walker, Democrat challenger Mary Burke understands the value of job growth and the significance it has to the people of Wisconsin. As college students facing a less-than-ideal job market, we know how difficult and stressful finding employment can be. Wisconsin needs a leader who will create an environment in which innovative and competitive businesses will want to invest in our state. Under Burke’s leadership at Trek Bicycle, she increased sales from $3 million to $50 million while also creating sustainable jobs in Wisconsin. Burke’s leadership abilities were further proven during her service as Secretary of Commerce, at a time when Wisconsin had 72,000 more jobs than we do today. As students in the state’s flagship university, it is an investment in our future to not only vote for but also help elect a governor who will work for us and not for special interests.

Walker has cashed in our environment solely for the economic gains of out-of-state businesses. Having grown up in Wisconsin, Burke understands the importance of preserving our state’s natural resources. We need a governor who is going to protect our state’s robust agricultural sector as well as work to maintain the beautiful lakes that matter so much to us as Wisconsin residents.

As the movement for equality among all peoples washes over our country, we need a leader who is willing to help drive that tide, not stand in its way. Be it women’s rights, same sex marriage or issues concerning racial disparities, Burke is clearly on the side of doing what is progressive, rather than keeping Wisconsin rooted in the past. The people of Wisconsin and even more so the students on this campus envision a state that grants all people fundamental rights. Burke will be the first Wisconsin governor who publicly supports marriage equality and the first female governor of this great state.

All across the state, thousands of Wisconsinites are helping in any way they can to give Wisconsin better leadership. The current tone of motivation and passion for bettering the state is felt in all aspects of the campaign. This summer will be about the state coming together to make sure its values match those who represent them and lead Wisconsin.

In order for college students to get involved in the race for governor, the College Democrats and the Young Progressives are teaming up to form Badgers for Burke. The group plans to not only motivate students to take their state back with the Nov. 4 elections, but also become active members in the organization, and it will have its fall kickoff when school resumes in September.