Letter to the editor: Call on Blank to terminate contract between UW and Jansport

This Thursday, April 24, marks the one-year anniversary of the infamous Rana Plaza factory collapse that claimed 1,132 innocent workers’ lives. This incident was the largest industrial workplace disaster that has ever happened. In the last two years alone, more than 1,500 workers have died due to preventable factory fires and building collapses.

In the wake of these disasters and immense public pressure, more than 150 brands from 21 countries have signed onto the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh. The Accord is a legally-binding contract between brands and local and international unions that requires factories to undergo independent inspections by trained fire safety experts; public reporting of the results of all inspections; mandatory repairs and renovations financed by the brands to address all identified hazards; and a central role for workers and their unions.

Beginning last fall, we and other students across the country have called on our universities to employ their leverage over companies who produce in Bangladesh to improve the garment industry. We asked our universities to require licensees, companies who have the rights to produce items with our university logo, sign onto the Accord. At the University of Wisconsin, we ran this campaign for seven months, doing letter deliveries, vigils, banner drops and other actions. A month ago, Chancellor Rebecca Blank announced that UW would take this instrumental step.

Now that UW has made this incredible commitment, we need to make sure the university follows through on enforcing this requirement. Licensees that do not sign onto the Accord by July 31 will have their contract terminated. Currently, UW is trying to let Jansport off the hook from this requirement. Jansport is a subsidiary of VF Corporation, which sources from 91 factories in Bangladesh, employing an alarming 190,000 workers.

Instead of committing to safe working conditions for their factory workers, VF Corporation has stated that it refuses to sign onto the Accord, and instead is party to an alternate program called the Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety. The Alliance is spearheaded by Walmart and GAP, is corporate-run, non-binding, does not require brands pay for renovations and does nothing to protect garment workers in Bangladesh. The international community, including Bangladeshi workers, are calling upon VF Corporation to sign the Accord.VF’s blatant disregard for worker safety makes it clear that its business practices in Bangladesh fail to live up to UW’s standards.

As the one-year anniversary of Rana Plaza approaches, it is paramount that UW cut its contract with Jansport. The contract between the UW and Jansport states that the contract may be terminated if the licensee “commits any act or omission that damages or reflects unfavorably, embarrasses or otherwise detracts from the good reputation of any Collegiate Institution.” VF Corporation’s refusal to sign onto the Accord coupled with its long history as a serial violator of workers’ rights damages UW’s reputation, and they do not deserve to be able to produce Bucky Badger apparel.

The anniversary of the Rana Plaza disaster is a solemn occasion, but also a tremendous opportunity for us stand in solidarity with garment workers in Bangladesh who produce UW apparel. Workers in Bangladesh will be taking action to demand safe conditions, and students at more than 20 universities across the U.S. will be taking action to call on our universities to cut contracts with Jansport.

We, the Student Labor Action Coalition, call upon UW to cut its contract with Jansport, and invite you to join us at the chancellor’s office this Thursday, April 24 at 11:45 a.m. to speak with her about this pressing issue.

For more information or to get in touch with SLAC, email [email protected] or find us on Facebook