Keep Easter separate from consumer culture

We are currently in an age where holidays are rapidly morphing and evolving together. You cannot go to a store around Halloween time without seeing Christmas decorations already on sale; you cannot make it through Thanksgiving without news stations and commercials shoving Black Friday advertisements down your throat. And, by the time December 25th arrives, it seems as though the October and November holidays were just the insignificant pre-games before the frat party that is Christmas. Easter is a slightly different story though. Maybe it is the fact that Easter lies in the middle of spring with no major holidays surrounding it, or that people revere the religious sanctity of the event so highly that they would not dare transform it into a consumerist monster, but over the years Easter has proved to be one of the more respectable, independent holidays.

What began as a sacred Christian holiday commemorating the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is now brightly associated with bunnies, Easter eggs and a plethora of pastel colors. Dating back to the German immigrants of the 1700s who brought over the tradition of a large egg-laying hare named “Osterhase,” the idea of the Easter Bunny emerged. This creature would lay its colored eggs and leave candy and other treats in children’s baskets; thus launching the newly commercialized Easter traditions. Another popular activity of coloring eggs originates around the 13th century and acts as another symbol of birth and new life. This shift to many more secular traditions has increased the economic nature of Easter, though it still does not rival the king and queen of all consumerist holidays, Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Though consumerism inevitably surrounds every holiday throughout the year, Easter’s average spending is much lower than most, particularly this year. When categorized into different products, such as clothing, food, gifts, flowers, decorations, candy and greeting cards, the average total spending reached around $15.9 billion. Of this $15.9 billion, an individual on average will spend around $53 on clothing; $50 on food; $35 on gifts; $24 on decorations; $22 on candy; and $13 on greeting cards. In contrast, about $800 per person is spent on gifts alone during the Christmas season, and around $100 a day is spent during the week of Thanksgiving. These numbers suggest that Easter is far from being on the economic level of other major holidays.

The Easter season is a time rightfully less focused on presents and consumer spending. However, it is still difficult to imagine a holiday season without large sales and designated decoration sections. As with any holiday, the purpose of Easter should be to spend time with family and friends and reflect on the year that has passed since last Easter. Whether you are embarking on an Easter egg hunt or snapping uncomfortable pictures with the Easter Bunny, remember why exactly we are celebrating. Though celebrations like Thanksgiving and Christmas obviously still stand for the same principles and values, despite being affected by such consumer culture, there seems to be a completely different mindset during the spring. Let’s keep it that way.

Laruen Prazuch ([email protected]) is a freshman intending to major in journalism and communication arts.