More may not always be better; practice moderation

The American mentality seems to be that more is always better. Faster, smaller and stronger technology comes out every day. However, studies now suggest less is more in a very surprising area: running. While moderate running helps lower risk for many health-related illnesses such as diabetes and other weight-related issues, long-term marathon style training increases plaque buildup in the heart. The strain marathon running causes can create permanent heart damage leading to heart attack or other congestive heart failures. Not only that, but long-distance running can exacerbate or damage your knees due to the pressure and strain put on them for running. Long-distance running seems to be a more perilous than beneficial pastime, especially as you age.

That being said, only 1 in every 184,000 marathoners has a heart attack directly after a marathon. Any marathoner or dedicated runner can tell you running is a demanding sport and the strain on organs and joints is real. This study isn’t trying to convince people to give up running. It’s advocating for moderation, which is a majorly overlooked component in living a healthy lifestyle.

Lessons in moderation are especially important in the state of Wisconsin. According to the United Health Foundation, 29.7 percent of adults in the state of Wisconsin are obese. We have the 20th highest rate in the country. People can gain excess amounts of weight for a variety of reasons. Food fulfills so many cultural, social, and emotional needs for people that I do not want to trivialize the battle many people face with weight loss and weight gain.  In a state famous for thick brats, squeaky curds and copious amounts of beer, a lesson in moderation is something we can all benefit from. All it takes is small steps to begin to make improvements. For one, portion sizes. Americans have some of the biggest portion sizes in the world. By just taking one less scoop of noodles or shake of cereal anyone can take steps to live a more moderate life. Keep in mind that the food pyramid is outdated, and ChooseMyPlate.gov is an excellent and modernized tool to learn more about portion size and division.

Living a life of moderation can be a very big undertaking. In fact, living a healthy lifestyle is a huge balancing act between many elements, not just diet and exercise. Health can be emotional, mental and spiritual. As high-stress as college life can be, it is important we find ourselves an area of healthy moderation.

As they say on  Friday Night Ligths, “Clear eyes, full heart, can’t lose.”

Abigail Zemach ([email protected]is a freshman majoring in food science.