Letter to the editor: Blank must sign accord on fire safety to support Bangladeshi garment workers

In the past two years, the three largest garment factory collapses in history claimed the lives of nearly 2,000 workers in Bangladesh. The clock is ticking. Garment workers in Bangladesh are dying on a daily basis in what are rapidly becoming known as “deathtraps.” Factories that might be producing University of Wisconsin apparel are literally collapsing under the weight of overproduction. The Labor Codes Licensing Compliance Committee (LCLCC), a shared governance committee composed of students, faculty, staff and administrators, is charged with recommending ways to ensure Bucky Badger apparel is not produced under these conditions to Chancellor Blank. The committee did its job, and our chancellor is now faced with two such recommendations on which she has yet to take meaningful action.

The first requires UW to sign onto the Alliance for Worker Safety. Under this company-controlled program, workers and their unions are given zero role, brands and retailers control the factory inspections and are not obligated to pay one cent towards the renovation and repair of factories, and all of the supposed commitments of the program are voluntary with no enforcement mechanism – if a brand wishes to end its commitment, it can cut the cord with zero accountability.

The second is the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh. This agreement between global and Bangladeshi unions and apparel brands requires independent inspections by trained fire safety experts, public reporting of the results of all inspections, mandatory repairs financed by the brands themselves to address all identified hazards, a central role for workers and their unions including worker-led safety committees and access to factories for unions and a legally binding contract between brands and unions that makes these commitments enforceable.

Over 20 UW licensees source their apparel from factories in Bangladesh today. 90 percent of these factories have been found to be structurally unsound. Today, nine universities, including Duke and Penn State, have required their licensees to sign on to the accord. Considering our university’s history as a leader in workers’ rights, it is unacceptable that Blank has not taken the measures that would allow UW to join the ranks of these other universities. Instead, the chancellor is seeking more information about a separate initiative, the Alliance for Worker Safety. This is an entirely company-controlled program. Workers and are have no role, brands and retailers control the factory inspections and are not obligated to pay one cent towards the renovation and repair of factories. Additionally, the supposed commitments of the program are voluntary with no enforcement mechanism — if a brand wishes to end its commitment, it can leave with zero accountability.

If you believe that the people who make your apparel deserve to work in a safe workplace, join us in urging Chancellor Blank to take action now! We will be mounting a campaign giving Chancellor Blank until spring break to sign our University onto the Accord on Fire Safety in Bangladesh – we cannot afford to wait any longer.

Letter submitted by the Student Labor Action Coalition. Contact Sundar Sharma (sundar.sharma@gmail.com) for more information. 

Update: The Student Labor Action Coalition has extended its deadline, allowing Chancellor Blank until March 24 to require their licensees to sign onto the Accord on Fire Safety in Bangladesh.