Stressed? Don’t turn to desserts, do yoga!

Stressed%3F+Dont+turn+to+desserts%2C+do+yoga%21+

Although the semester is just under way, the stress from classes and extracurricular activities has already taken a toll on students. It’s not easy to transition from sitting on the couch and watching Netflix all day to back-to-back classes and hours of uninteresting work and assignments. I’ve already found myself saying, on numerous occasions, “I just can’t handle this.” Luckily, I know I’m not alone.

A few weeks ago I decided to take my very first hot yoga class at Inner Fire Yoga. I decided I was going to be proactive about my stress and find something to do early in the semester that would allow me to clear my mind. The second I stepped into the heated room I was surrounded by students who were hoping to do the same. I had never done any form of yoga before, let alone hot yoga, but had heard from many people that it’s a great way to alleviate stress and sync the relaxation of your body with your mind. After the 60-minute Power Flow class had ended, I immediately knew I was hooked.

I returned three more times that week and have been going almost every day since. I have tried numerous classes, each of which has a different focus, whether it is strengthening the core, burning calories and weight training or simply flexibility. Regardless of the focus, the benefits are undeniable, such as the reduction of heart rate and blood pressure and the alleviation of depression and anxiety, according to the Mayo Clinic. Additionally, every class is taught by experienced teachers who have each completed more than 200 hours of workshop training and love what they do. The room is spacious and overlooks University Avenue, which allows you to truly see the separation of the hustle-and-bustle of college life with the stillness of the yoga studio.

Since I could hardly consider myself a “yogi” when I began I was definitely intimidated by the idea of having absolutely no idea what I was doing, while everyone else appeared to be an expert in my eyes. But my fears and anxieties were eased soon after the class began. The teachers always emphasize to do only what you feel comfortable doing and they partake in the class with you so they can show you how to do each move. I also found myself learning from the people around me and I caught on much quicker than I expected. I now enjoy going with a group of friends just to prove to them that it’s not all a myth — yoga is actually an excellent stress reliever.

There are many locations on campus that offer this beneficial activity. Aside from Inner Fire Yoga (which costs $30 for the first month for unlimited yoga-ing), there are classes available at the Southeast Recreational Facility and the Natatorium. Yoga is a great way to get a workout in and distract yourself from the week that lies ahead or the one you left behind.

Students can benefit greatly by taking an hour out of their day to focus on their mental health and wellness. Plus getting out of the cold and into a heated room isn’t the worst thing. It is an excellent detox for both the body and mind. And if yoga isn’t for you, then find something that you truly enjoy that simultaneously allows you to clear your mind and relax.

Chloe Butler (chloejbutler@gmail.com) is a freshman majoring in communications.