1. Actually start paying back the state debt (after all, is it really a surplus if we’re still billions of dollars in debt?).
2. Create an endowment to fund the Mifflin Street Block Party for the foreseeable future (think of it, rather than saddling our children’s children with debt, we’ll establish a party for generations to come).
3. Give it back to the public school system (no, seriously – isn’t that where all this money came from in the first place?).
4. Invest in high-speed rail infrastructure (since we’ve never had the chance until now).
5. Move Lincoln Memorial to the top of Bascom (make Abe more imposing, earn the University of Wisconsin mad respect).
6. Reinstate Medicaid funding (because we could actually use this money to help people).
7. Secede from the Union, form the sovereign nation of the United State of Wisconsin (bribe Obama to make it happen).
8. Buy the Chicago Blackhawks and move them to Madison (seriously, how does Wisconsin not have an NHL team yet?).
9. Fund a Walker for President campaign (because we need to make the 2016 primaries even more entertaining than 2012.)
10. Hire Professor Kanye West to teach Afro-American studies 156 ("Oh, you graduated? No, I decided I was finished.")
With news Wisconsin is looking at a budget surplus of $419 million, there has been much debate over what to do actually do with the money. Most of the discussion at the Capitol has revolved around giving it back to taxpayers in the form of a tax cut. We thought that seemed like an awfully boring way to spend hundreds of millions of dollars. Here are a few other ideas: