Partisan politics should tear Wisconsin asunder

Conservative or liberal, Democrat or Republican, Wisconsin people are passionate and the Wisconsin recall elections offer the people of this great state an opportunity for a creative, progressive pursuit: Let’s see how mean we can get.

Let’s focus our time and energy to get nasty. I want to see unions tearing down Democrats tearing down Republicans tearing down even more unions so political discourse represents a rat king, tangled and gnawing at one another.

Let’s find a way to entrench family time, our friendships and our workplace in scathing political rants based on what we heard on TV and the radio. Let’s alienate each other with awkward, bold, angry displays of party pride.

Let’s take the low road and drag everyone – both our supporters and our opponents – down with us. Let’s use that progressive energy and ingenuity our state is known for to make some creative political slurs. There are walls to be broken down and records to beat. Think of all the different things you can call Tom Barrett, Scott Walker, Kathleen Falk!

Let’s make fun of strangers on the Internet. Let’s fight on Twitter and let’s fight on Facebook. Let’s confuse intelligent political discourse with a snappy tweet.

Even though there is plenty of trolling on those forums, we can’t stop there. What about LinkedIn and Tumblr? What about MySpace? OkCupid? And don’t forget comment boards. Never forget comment boards.

Adelaide Blanchard ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism.