[UPDATED] Cruz, Sanders win Wisconsin primary

Both candidates also took the Dane County elections
Marissa Haegele and Nyal Mueenuddin

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vermont, won the Wisconsin primaries for their respective parties Tuesday night.

While exact overall state voter turnout numbers have yet to be released, Dane County saw 66 percent total voter turnout, or 234,681 total voters. Wards 54 through 58, which encompass most of campus, saw a combined voter turnout of more than 6,000, according to the Dane County Clerk’s Office.

Within Dane County on the Republican side, Cruz received 38 percent of the vote, Donald Trump received 30.2 percent and Ohio Gov. John Kasich took 29 percent. Among the Democrats, Sanders received 62.5 percent and Hillary Clinton got 37.2 percent.

Cruz delivered remarks in Milwaukee after his projected win around 8:45 p.m., with less than 20 percent of precincts in the state reporting.

Speaking at his election night party in Milwaukee, Cruz addressed Gov. Scott Walker and the crowd, promising in November he would be “painting the Badger state bright Republican red.”

Cruz’s win comes just one week after Walker’s endorsement.

Backing from state Republican establishments, including the governor, talk radio and state legislators, contributed to Cruz’s popularity in Wisconsin, Barry Burden, University of Wisconsin political science professor, said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/03/29/walker-says-ted-cruz-endorsement-an-easy-call/

Sanders delivered his victory speech from Wyoming, addressing college students and the issue of student loan debt.

“We should be rewarding people who get the education they need, not punishing them,” Sanders said.

Sanders visited Madison and spoke to audiences of thousands of college students three times in nine days. His most recent visit was to the Kohl Center Sunday.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/04/04/sanders-calls-out-walker-talks-student-debt-in-final-pre-primary-madison-rally/

A significant voter turnout

Burden said this election cycle is unique in its ability to engage voters, in addition to the media attention it has received.

“Voters are driven to polls in a way that we’ve never seen before in Wisconsin,” Burden said.

When primary elections first began in February, Wisconsin’s late primary date seemed it would make little difference in who the final presidential candidates would be.

But UW journalism and mass communication professor Michael Wagner said with the race tightening up, the Wisconsin primary is more important than what people previously thought.

“[It] could hit the reset button in the Republican race if Cruz successful,” Wagner said. “Another win for Sanders would at least affect the narrative of Clinton’s candidacy and do some damage to the perception that she’s inevitable.”

Bradley defeats Kloppenburg in Supreme Court race

Incumbent Supreme Court Justice Rebecca Bradley won against opponent Appeals Court Judge JoAnne Kloppenburg, each gathering 52.5 and 47.5 percent of the vote, respectively, according to Madison.com.  

Within Dane County, however, Kloppenburg received 72.1 percent of the vote over Bradley’s 27.7 percent, according to the Dane County Clerk’s Office.

Addressing a small crowd at the Brink Lounge in Madison, Kloppenburg expressed her gratitude for her supporters and her family, and spoke of the necessity of the court to operate free of partisan politics.

Our courts are not arenas in which political agendas battle for the upper hand,” Kloppenburg said.

In Wauwatosa, Bradley congratulated Kloppenburg on a “hard fought race,” and thanked her own supporters and colleagues.

Bradley will serve a 10-year term on the court.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/03/28/what-students-need-to-know-about-wisconsins-supreme-court-elections/

Young wins Dane County Board seat

UW alum and former president of College Democrats Hayley Young handedly defeated sophomore opponent Angelito Tenorio in the race for representation of student-dominated District 5 on the Dane County Board of Supervisors.

Young gained 62 percent of the vote, compared with Tenorio’s 36.8 percent, according to Dane County Clerk’s Office.

Young and Tenorio ran on similar platforms that covered issues regarding the environment, homelessness and racial disparities across the county.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/03/28/meet-the-candidates-running-for-district-5s-county-board-seat/

Young attributed her success to her grassroots campaign, and said she was excited to work collaboratively with other county board members while representing campus.

“So many people were out there to help to get out the message and stress the importance of voting in a local election when they went out to vote in the primary,” Young said. “I’m really looking forward to getting to work with other fantastic progressive women who won re-election tonight.”

Tenorio was not available for comment.

Vidushi Saxena and Teymour Tomsyck contributed reporting to this article.