Menominee march 155 miles to protest casino refusal

Tribal members hoped to meet with Walker regarding his decision

The wind chill pushed the temperature below negative 20 degrees, but the Menominee tribe wrapped up their 155 mile march Wednesday at the state Capitol, protesting Gov. Scott Walker’s rejection of their proposed casino in Kenosha. 

The march began Friday after Walker decided last month to reject the Menominee’s request to build an off-reservation Hard Rock Casino in Kenosha. The tribe’s latest offer calls for the tribe to pay the $220 million that Walker wants to borrow to help fund a new arena for the Milwaukee Bucks basketball team.

After walking 155 miles, the Menominee marchers arrived at Library Mall at the University of Wisconsin campus Wednesday morning, where an additional 11 buses brought more tribe members and supporters to join for the final leg of the march to the Capitol.

Craig Corn, secretary of the Menominee Legislature, remained optimistic about changing Walker’s mind.

“Every proposal Walker has set forth, the Menominee has achieved,” Corn said, referencing the Menominee proposal to help fund the Milwaukee Bucks arena.

But on Monday, in a letter to Menominee Tribal Chairman Gary Besaw, Walker delivered his final decision, echoing a top aide’s recent comments that suggested the Bucks proposal wasn’t serious.

“Over nearly a year and a half, Menominee never seriously discussed providing funding for a Bucks arena,” Walker wrote. “After a comprehensive review … I found that the risk to taxpayers is too great.”

The tribe remained hopeful they could spark a conversation between Walker and Besaw before Walker faces a deadline for final approval on Feb. 19.

“We want Gov. Walker to meet with our chairman to fill him in on some misinformation about the casino,” Menominee tribe member Jerrit Okimosh said. “This [casino] will help benefit not only generations now, but also future generations. And not just the Menominee, but all of Wisconsin. We hope he reconsiders.”

Corn had stronger words.

“It’s interesting, the day before he leaves for Iowa, he dumps our project,” Corn said. “We want solutions for that bogus letter he sent.”

Before the final march began, Besaw said he wanted to clarify any misunderstandings Walker may have and hear the real justification behind his rejection.

Besaw said he hoped Walker can put aside politics because the casino is too important for Kenosha, Wisconsin and the Menominee to lose, providing economic benefits to all three, he said.

A little after 11:30 a.m., the march down State Street began with leaders carrying Menominee staffs and flags, while marchers danced down the street in traditional regalia to the beat of the tribal drums.

The marchers reached the Capitol and gathered in the rotunda for a final rally where Kenosha-area lawmakers from both parties praised the Menominee community for their efforts to try to make the proposal a reality.

The rally concluded with Besaw speaking to the group and leading the way to speak with Walker, who was not available to meet at the time, but tribal members remained positive.

“What happens, happens,” Corn said. “This is a proud day for the Menominee.”