Landmark Commission approves plans for new development in neighborhood of historic building

Joey Reuteman

Madison’s Landmarks Commission voted Monday night to approve plans for a new townhouse development on North Bedford Street.

The committee voted unanimously to pass the proposed plans onto the city’s Plan Commission for further discussion. Though the plans were passed unanimously, the development sparked some concern due to its location, as it is adjacent to the historic Doyle Administration Building.

The main question before the commission was whether the building would be too large or visually intrusive for the neighborhood.

Commission member David McLean raised concerns about the building being too large; however, building architect Tom Chinnock assured members of the commission that the building would fit in well with the overall framework of the area.

The end vote on whether the building would be too large or visually intrusive passed 4-1, with McLean as the sole dissenter.

According to Chinnock, the new building will mirror features of the historic Doyle building, including curved glass edges. Chinnock said he hopes pedestrians will notice and appreciate the subtle similarities between the two buildings.

The proposed building would be 10 stories tall, house two-story townhouses and feature amenities such as outdoor courtyards, parking and a fitness center, Chinnock said.

The commission also heard a resolution plan for the State Street and Capitol Square area. The resolution was brought before the commission for awareness purposes and to let the commission make relevant changes.

The commission only proposed two wording changes to the recommendation. The group sought to change the words, “historic issues” to “historic preservation” and another in which they changed the words “bus access” to “bus access operation.”

In a vote the resolution with the new wording amendments passed unanimously.