UW Marching Band receives “significant donation” from Lions’ Raiola

Director Leckrone: “We’re very happy with what we were provided”
Logan Reigstad

The University of Wisconsin Marching Band received a donation from Detroit Lion Dominic Raiola Tuesday, a year after an incident between Raiola and members of the band at Lambeau Field.

The incident occurred when the Detroit Lions center allegedly yelled inappropriate slurs at several band members as the band was preparing to play the national anthem before the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions took the field in the October 6, 2013 division matchup. The Packers went on to win that game 22-9.

Raiola has since apologized to the band and his team for the incident, saying in a statement his actions were inappropriate.

NFL player apologizes for hateful remarks toward UW band

University of Wisconsin Marching Band Director Michael Leckrone said he didn’t feel he needed to press the issue with the Lions.

After media outlets asked recently if the donation had been received and Leckrone said it hadn’t, the issue was brought up again and Raiola committed to sending the funds, Leckrone said.

“We had sort of moved on before, but I’m happy that everybody felt it was important enough to follow through on the donation, and we’re very happy with what we were provided,” he said.

Leckrone would not disclose the exact dollar value of the donation, saying only that it was significant.

The marching band relies on an endowment and fundraising for most of its income, so the additional money will be greatly appreciated, Leckrone said.

“We’re pretty self-sufficient in that way, so any funds like this are very welcome,” he said.

Raiola was criticized for a similar incident in 2008 when he made an obscene gesture toward a heckler during a game.