SSFC hears WCSU budget and approves ALPs

Sunni Porps-Hummell

An Associated Students of Madison committee unanimously approved the Adventure Learning Programs budget and heard a budget presentation from Working Class Student Union in a meeting Thursday.

Student Services Finance Committee unanimously approved the ALPs’ budget for $155,049.58, instead of the initially requested $155,839.58.

Sam Toppe, an ALPs facilitator, said their phone line of the budget was incorrect in Monday’s meeting and the correct amount was $460.

The committee changed the budget line for the phone, and the budget line for hardware and software to $1,001 less than the original plan.

Secretary Brett Ducharme said the hardware and software was reduced because ALPs was originally going to replace one of their computers with a MacBook Pro with a Windows, but decided to buy it through DoIT, which saved money.

WCSU is requesting $49,187.12 for the 2015-2016 fiscal year.

“We support and advocate for first generation low-income students,” Hong Trinh, WCSU finance director, said.

Funding for the club’s Art Night in the 2014 year only spent $73 of the $300 requested, but Trinh said they are requesting $350 this year because they want to fully utilize the event and incorporate knitting and ink purchases for MEChA collaboration.

Trinh said they are introducing a new kick-off program that requires funding. WCSU requested $150 for this because they want to have food at the event to attract more students.

Another point brought up for question was the salary of their president, which is currently listed as $9.44 per hour. Rep. Todd Garon said the SSFC guidelines state the salary can be $9.69 per hour for a position of that standing.

Rep. Cheyenne Langkamp asked about WCSU’s Metro Ad Campaign, in which they bought advertising space on city of Madison busses.

Langkamp wanted to know if they only purchased space on ones specifically servicing campus. Ducharme said he wanted to know how effective those ads were.

Trinh said they would have answers to both of their questions Monday in open forum.