Businesses, city gear up for Freakfest 2014

‘It’s going to be a pretty cool party,’ organizers say

Organizers of this year’s Freakfest Halloween celebration said “it’s going to be a pretty cool party,” but heard from downtown business owners at a meeting Thursday on how it will affect their businesses.

The meeting at the Madison Central Library allowed business owners in the State Street area to ask questions and express concerns about the annual event to representatives from the Madison Police Department, Mayor Paul Soglin’s office, Madison Parks and Frank Productions, which is organizing the event.

Three stages will be set up along State Street for the event. The Capitol Stage, located at the head of State Street near the Capitol, will feature headliner Atmosphere and deM atlaS.

Atmosphere to headline Freakfest 2014

Freakfest has undergone several changes in recent years to increase safety and reduce violence and vandalism to property in the area, including charging admission to the event and bringing in live music acts from around the region.

Tag Evers, the owner of Madison-based True Endeavors, a concert-promoting company, said this year’s lineup will feature performers of all experience levels.

“We try to be inclusive and include local talent as well,” Evers said.

Bringing top music acts to Freakfest has helped to reduce vandalism along State Street during the event, Evers said. In past years, some businesses relocated off State Street to avoid the vandalism the event brought, but he said Freakfest is no longer considered as violent as it once was.

“If your idea of fun is breaking things, you won’t like Freakfest. … If you buy into the idea that you can have a good time with quality entertainment then you should do it,” he said.

David McCaw, a field lieutenant for MPD, Central District, said the changes that Freakfest has undergone in the past few years have made it more friendly to local businesses.

McCaw said working with businesses in the area is a top priority for the department.

“The only drinking that happens on State Street because of the gating is where it belongs, and that’s in the bars, run by responsible people, sober adults,” he said.

Tickets will cost $8 in advance or $12 on the day of the event, and can be purchased at several downtown businesses.