SSFC passes Campus Women’s Center eligibility, delays WCSU vote

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee unanimously passed eligibility for funding of the Campus Women’s Center at their meeting Thursday evening.

SSFC Vice Chair Thuy Pham said she was struggling to understand how one of the proposed core programs by the CWC called “condom crawl” is a core program, as it doesn’t seem to have any educational benefit.

Rep. Callen Raveret, however, said he thinks the group is creating awareness by attaching information to the condoms. The eligibility vote ultimately passed 9-0.

But the committee postponed voting for the Working Class Student Union until Monday, Sept. 22. WCSU supports first-generation, traditional and transfer working-class college students.

Pablo Montes, the WCSU president, said the group’s goal is to offer a safe community where people can share their unique experiences, knowledge and goals. 

“Our educational workshops help students, advisors and teaching assistants to make the classroom more inclusive,” Montes said.

He said they also help students with identity concerns and emotionally-charged issues.

Hong Trinh, the financial director of WCSU, said the organization provides a space for working-class students to take pride in their roots through the working-class celebration month.

She said they also have a cultural showcase where students can celebrate their cultural identity on the UW campus.

“What is good is we sit down with students individually and help them one-on-one during our workshops,” Trinh said.

Rep. Jessica Franco-Morales asked what role staff and members play in the advocacy program.

Montes said members of the organization are available at any time upon request to listen to both sides of conflict and help the student feel more comfortable.

“As the president, I’ve already received a couple of emails from students complaining about some statements made by some member of faculty,” he said.