SSFC hears updates on Rec Sports Master Plan

A committee of the Associated Students of Madison Monday received updates on the Rec Sports Master Plan, the $223 million overhaul to University of Wisconsin recreational sports facilities that the student body voted to pass this past spring.

The Student Services Finance Committee also held eligibility hearings for the Campus Women’s Center and approved a budget for the F.H. King Students for Sustainable Agriculture.

Rec Sports Master Plan Update

John Horn, the director of Rec Sports, presented to SSFC representatives and said Rec Sports wants to get everything started early this academic year, as the Master Plan is a high priority.

He said the facilities in the plan are the Near West facility (to be renovated by Fall 2016), SERF (to be renovated by Fall 2019), Natatorium (to be renovated by Fall 2021) and the Near East facility (to be renovated by Fall 2022).

“Those dates are only estimates but we have no reason to think work on the facilities won’t be done by then,” Horn said.

The Rec Sports committee has received a $55.5 million gift from the Chancellor in addition to the $125 million from the students, he said.

Horn said new student committees within Rec Sports are to be created and students are involved in the design of the soon-to-be renovated facilities. One of the most important aspects is forming a new ASM student sub-committee to ensure transparency, he said.

“We want students to feel like these are their facilities. We want them to be directly involved,” Horn said.

Budget Decisions

In the meeting, SSFC members voted 13-1 in approval of the eligibility for funding of F.H. King. Final decisions on the eligibility of the Campus Women’s Center will be made on Thursday, according to SSFC Chair Maier.

Maier said new campus student organizations seeking to request funding are currently working on applications, which should be in by mid-October.