Protecting pollinators and improving storm water drainage addressed in meeting

A city committee gathered Monday to address protecting local species of pollinators and improving storm drainage systems in Madison.

The Committee on the Environment approved a task force to improve actions used to protect species that pollinate plants including honeybees, birds and bats. Committee members also spoke on seeking expertise on how to improve drains that collect storm water in light of severe weather events recorded this summer.

Mark Woulf, Madison Food and Alcohol policy coordinator, spoke on behalf of the Madison Food Policy Council to request the Committee on the Environment’s official support for the task force that would focus on determining what practices would best protect pollinators.

Also a focus of the meeting was storm water management in the city.

Committee member Steve Fixwrote an email to his colleagues on the topic as he was unable to attend the meeting. He said managing storm water infrastructure with consideration of local climate changes could save city taxpayers and property owners from unwanted outcomes of storm water runoff including flooding.

Committee member Mike DePue suggested “green infrastructure” as a part of this plan.

Elizabeth Katt-Reinders, committee chairperson, said she supported the agreement that the committee would invite Greg Fries, Madison’s principal engineer for sanitary and storm sewers, to talk about what role the committee can play in a movement for better storm water management. She said the committee hopes Fries will attend its October meeting.