Sexual assault reported on N. Park Street

Second case reported this week, incidents are unrelated

On Friday at approximately 1:30 a.m., a 21-year-old woman was sexually assaulted by a stranger near 21 N. Park Street, according to a UW-Madison Crime Alert.

The victim was walking home alone after going out with friends in the State Street area when the assault occurred in an alleyway, the report said. The suspect fled west on Park Street, the report said.

The perpetrator is described as a white male in his early 20’s, his height was between 5’11” to 6’2” tall, with a muscular build, brown spiked hair, facial stubble and was last seen wearing a red shirt, according to the report.

Police spokesperson Marc Lovicott said although this is the second incident this week in the area, the two incidents are unrelated.

Lovicott said he advises students to always walk in groups and in familiar, well lit areas.

“What we are trying to get across to students is that unfortunately no matter where you are in the country these types of crimes do happen and we have to make sure that people take their personal safety seriously and are really looking out for one another,” Lovicott said.

According to Lovicott, there tends to be an increase in sexual assault, theft and robbery cases during the first month after students return. The number of incidents tends to decrease after an initial spike, he added.