Scott Resnick running against Soglin for mayor

Ald.+Scott+Resnick%2C+District+8%2C+is+among+the+two+candidates+who+have+announced+against+Madison+Mayor+Paul+Soglin.+
Badger Herald File Photo
Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, is among the two candidates who have announced against Madison Mayor Paul Soglin.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, is challenging longtime Madison Mayor Paul Soglin in next year’s mayoral race.

Resnick, a University of Wisconsin graduate, joins former Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, in running against Soglin, who is on his seventh term as mayor in three different stints. The general election for the race will be April 7.

Resnick’s district encompasses much of the UW campus, where he said he’s worked on issues students care about.

“It has been the support of students for the last three-and-a-half years that have allowed me to be elected as city council member, representing students for the last two terms, and now I hope to use that same energy and vibrancy and take it to the mayor’s office,” Resnick said.

Resnick, elected to his Common Council seat in 2011, graduated from UW in 2009 with a degree in political science and legal studies. He’s also the vice president of Hardin Design & Development, which creates web and mobile apps.

He said he would focus on issues such as homelessness and plans on gaining support for his vision for the city as a “21st century hub of innovative and creative thought.”

“I look forward to having debates with them when the time comes on how our visions for the city both will be similar and contrast,” Resnick said of his opponents.

Resnick said he will not run as District 8 alder in the next election, giving someone else an opportunity as he runs for mayor.

Maniaci, who announced her run earlier this month, welcomed Resnick into the race and said she looks forward to continuing discussions on Madison’s future.

“I appreciate his participation in the conversation about Madison’s direction, and I look forward to discussing greater Madison issues,” Maniaci said. “I think clearly the conversation needs to be about the focus of the city.”

Maniaci, a Madison native and UW grad, was the District 2 alder from 2009 to 2013, representing much of the Langdon Street neighborhood. She is currently pursuing a master’s degree in public policy and management from Carnegie Mellon University.

Earlier this week, Maniaci told The Badger Herald one of her top issues will be affordable housing. She said Madison residents spend too much of their income on housing because low vacancy rates drive up prices.

“The city needs to get real about developing affordable housing,” Maniaci said. “Expecting the market to develop into a desirable vacancy rate is not realistic.”

Mayor Paul Soglin’s campaign manager declined to comment until Resnick officially announces his bid.