UW honors two self-starting alumni with Entrepreneurial Achievement Award

Alumni who founded investment firm, founded app for mothers are honorees
Bryce Richter/ UW Communications

The University of Wisconsin has recognized two alumni with the Entrepreneurial Achievement Award, which seeks to honor UW graduates or faculty who have founded and built companies that are successful and have a hand in economic growth.

Michael Shannon and Elisa All received the award on campus May 1. Both All and Shannon founded highly successful and profitable businesses around the U.S., according to a university statement. 

Shannon is the founder and managing director of KSL, a private equity firm that invests in the hospitality, real estate and leisure industries. KSL is valued at $3.6 billion.

Shannon, who earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration from UW in 1980, is also a cofounder of the BrightStar Wisconsin Foundation. BrightStar is a non-profit investment foundation that promotes and invests in local start-ups and entrepreneurs.

All is the founder and president of 30Second Mobile, a company that produces content for mobile devices.  In addition, the mother of three created 30Second Mom, an app that helps to keep busy moms informed, or “in the know while on the go,” All said on her personal webpage.

Most recently, All founded iParenting Media, a multimedia publishing company that caters to women and parents. All received her bachelor’s degree in communications from UW in 1990.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank praised both the recipients in the statement.

“Elisa is in the cutting edge of digital technology; she’s identified a niche and turned it into a success in the face of significant competition. Mike has an extraordinary ability to take the seed of an idea or opportunity and see it through to remarkable success,” Blank said.