Amid speculation of a mayoral run, Resnick will not run for top City Council job

Herald Archive
Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, will make improving communication between the City Council and the Mayor’s office a top priority in his new role as council pro tem.

As speculation about a possible mayoral run from Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, continues to grow, he announced he will not run for City Council President in Tuesday night’s leadership elections.

Resnick said many of his colleagues have encouraged him to run for the position. He currently serves as council president Pro Tempore, and said it is typical for alders to move from that position to the presidency. However, Resnick said he “may be choosing another path.”

“As I have been considering a potential mayoral run, I thought it was in the best interest for my constituents, the city and the council that I step aside,” Resnick said.

The mayoral election will not take place until April 2015, so Resnick said he still has time to decide whether or not he will challenge current Mayor Paul Soglin.

Resnick said it is his mission to build consensus between people, empower others and encourage individuals to work together in an email to his colleagues obtained by The Badger Herald.

“It was a very difficult decision, but I believe the best way to bring my vision of leadership to reality will not be through pursuing the Council Presidency,” Resnick said in the email.“I am honored and humbled that so many of you asked me to run and I promise that my commitment to public service does not end here. It is only beginning.”