UW System president announces new interim chancellor for UWM

Mark Mone will serve as University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee interim chancellor while the UW System launches a nationwide search for a permanent replacement for current Chancellor Michael Lovell, UW System President Ray Cross said Tuesday.

Lovell said in a statement Tuesday he would be leaving his position at UWM March 26 to become president of Marquette University.

“I greatly appreciate this opportunity to continue to advance current UWM initiatives,” Mone said in the statement. “Under the heading of ‘Moving Forward Together,’ I intend to work with all constituencies to complete and begin implementing our strategic plan, continue work on strengthening student enrollment and educational quality, further engage our university partners through research, education and service and identify and obtain additional resources for our campus.”

Mone has worked at UWM since 1989 as an associate dean at the Lubar School of Business where he managed external relations, including partnerships with businesses and nonprofit organizations.

Mone also managed the Lubar School’s executive MBA program, career services and other financial and marketing responsibilities.

“Mark’s academic credentials, leadership experiences, industry background and long-term tenure with UWM make him an excellent choice for interim chancellor,” Cross said in the statement.

Cross and the UW Board of Regents will conduct a national search to find a permanent replacement chancellor by Jan. 1, 2015.